Bedding on points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMAR85

Bedding on points

Unread postby JMAR85 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:54 pm

I have two particular buck beds in hill country that I plan on hunting this season. They are both on points that are extremely thick and the sides of the hill around them are thick as well, thick enough that I'm not sure I could get a shot off. The only way I can really see to hunt them are to set up further back the point in hopes he comes straight back up the point (below the point drops down to hunter access trails, they are both text book wind at the back watching people walk by beds). Can anyone give me any tips?

SEMObowhunter

Re: Bedding on points

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:20 am

If you can't get a shot off I wouldn't push it. I would wait until some other contributing factor brings him out earlier. Weather front, falling acorns maybe, does, or a combo of these. First time in is your best bet of being undetected. If you go in and can't get a shot, he will know you have been there and you have tipped your hand. Patience is your friend in this case.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Bedding on points

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:36 am

I agree w SEMO Is there an edge w deer sign exiting? Personally, id wait for good temps or some leaf drop, maybe a wet day before actually diving into the thick staging area. If there is an access trail below then it may not take long for them to develop habit of walking up the point w the seasons getting under way. Also, acorns mainly drop on the tops of ridges first so maybe they are staying on the 1/3 or about to..? If you have any type of lower elevation intel for a stand location, consider a morning hunt below the thick point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”