Hunting shifting winds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Hunting shifting winds

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 pm

So I'm still new to the beast style of hunting, this is only my 2nd true full season of hunting beds. Our season opened up a few weeks ago and due to my work and school schedule I can't get out as much as I would like. So far a few of the days I wanted to go out I couldn't just because I was kinda clueless on where to go and setup. We have had a lot of light wind days 5mph or so and the wind is consistently shifting. From 7am to 7pm there has been a 180degree shift. Today and tomorrow they are calling for the same thing.Seems like it has been a 90 degree change from morning to afternoon then another from afternoon to evening. The part of the country I hunt is completely flat mostly farm country with some marsh. Only places I have found that the deer bed reguardless of the wind are super thick and would be impossible to get close without a good wind. My question is how do you guys hunt this. Do I hunt where I think they would bed based on the wind in the morning or do I figure on them moving around mid day to bed with the wind in there favor?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Hunting shifting winds

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Hunt based on the morning wind, in flat or swampy areas the are less likely to move. I love a 90 degree swing because I can setup in spots I might not have been able too without the switch. Try and work everything you can to your advantage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”