Setting up on scrape

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waymore

Setting up on scrape

Unread postby Waymore » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Who has success doing this and what time of year is best? I assume pre-rut? I know it's best to have good cover as most are visited at night. Also would it be best to set up cross wind since bucks will get down wind to scent check?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Setting up on scrape

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Think a lot has to do with what type of terrain u are hunting. In the hills I hunt most the good scrapes are located in spots that are very difficult to hunt such as thermal hubs. If this is the case u might be better off hunting his approach trail to the scrape. My favorite scrapes to hunt are the ones sandwhiched in between 2 mature bucks beds. After a rain these can be lights out!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Waymore wrote:Who has success doing this and what time of year is best? I assume pre-rut? I know it's best to have good cover as most are visited at night. Also would it be best to set up cross wind since bucks will get down wind to scent check?

I'm listening to Dans second hunting beast podcast with Mario and he covers this exact thing. Hunt the scrape if it's near bedding or related to bedding, otherwise you are most likely wasting your time because those scrapes are being visited at night.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:48 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Think a lot has to do with what type of terrain u are hunting. In the hills I hunt most the good scrapes are located in spots that are very difficult to hunt such as thermal hubs. If this is the case u might be better off hunting his approach trail to the scrape. My favorite scrapes to hunt are the ones sandwhiched in between 2 mature bucks beds. After a rain these can be lights out!

Makes sense. I guess They would want to get their fresh scent in there.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:13 am

I have had a lot of luck around scrapes near bedding. My favorite time to hunt them is towards the end of October. If you can find scrapes that connect different buck bedding they will be active all year, they might not work the scrape but will come by and hit the licking branch or just rub his scent on it. I'm running a couple cameras over this type of scrape this year to get more Intel of just how often then get used and when they are most active.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:26 am

I have never hunted a scrape specifically, but have had success hunting near primary scrapes while using the terrain to my advantage. This setup for me is usually a ridge top thermal hub with a primary scrape close by. I think late October, and first week of November is the best time to hunt near scrapes. But I would not waste my time with any random scrape on a trail. It must be a primary scrape in a high thermal hub or multiple intersecting ridges, or a primary scrape near bedding.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 am

I agree with what has been said above. If there trail is near bedding i'd hunt it. If it was on a field edge or in an open bottom I would try and back track closer to buck bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”