High Resolution Topo Map Resources

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Motivated
500 Club

Re: High Resolution Topo Map Resources

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:59 pm

johndeere506 wrote:Wow that green image is amazing. I wonder if MI, OH and IN have something like that.

Thanks for sharing!

The whole state of Indiana has been scanned, and the data is free. I downloaded some of it and used qgis for free to download into a kmz file, and i can look at this in google earth. I'm not tech saavy either. I just did google and youtube searches, then kept working at it.

I would google your state name and LIDAR. Indiana was scanned between 2011-2013.

If you figure out to do the one foot contours let me know. For me it was not necessary, but I would like to learn how to do it for other properties.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
RBrave

Unread postby RBrave » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am

While i would not be surprised if the whole US was scanned, the below map appears to be the extent of publicly available data. This site is maintained by NOAA, so hopefully it gets updated with some frequency. I will add this to the original post as well. Many states appear to not have websites to manipulate topos or lidar without specific applications, so you would need to use one a standalone GIS tool to make use of it as Motivated suggested. Well worth the work if you use maps for scouting.

edit: can't update original post for some reason? That is unfortunate. So much for everything in one place :)

United States Interagency Elevation Inventory
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Motivated wrote:
johndeere506 wrote:Wow that green image is amazing. I wonder if MI, OH and IN have something like that.

Thanks for sharing!

The whole state of Indiana has been scanned, and the data is free. I downloaded some of it and used qgis for free to download into a kmz file, and i can look at this in google earth. I'm not tech saavy either. I just did google and youtube searches, then kept working at it.

I would google your state name and LIDAR. Indiana was scanned between 2011-2013.

If you figure out to do the one foot contours let me know. For me it was not necessary, but I would like to learn how to do it for other properties.

Thanks!! My buddy has a very large farm down there and Id love to get some sections mapped like this. I cant wait to play with this data.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 am

And God said, "Let there become light:" And there became light. - Gen 1:3 Thanks for the heads up on this!
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 am

RBrave wrote:While i would not be surprised if the whole US was scanned, the below map appears to be the extent of publicly available data. This site is maintained by NOAA, so hopefully it gets updated with some frequency. I will add this to the original post as well. Many states appear to not have websites to manipulate topos or lidar without specific applications, so you would need to use one a standalone GIS tool to make use of it as Motivated suggested. Well worth the work if you use maps for scouting.

edit: can't update original post for some reason? That is unfortunate. So much for everything in one place :)

Maybe i'm dumb, but I can't get the topo to come up? Just solid green when I zoom in.
RBrave

Unread postby RBrave » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:35 am

flinginairos wrote:Maybe i'm dumb, but I can't get the topo to come up? Just solid green when I zoom in.

Nope, not dumb -- the NOAA website is pointing to raw data resources, which require special software to view (not just a weblink). I have not found additional state websites other than the ones in the original post.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:22 am

Very cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 am

RBrave wrote:While i would not be surprised if the whole US was scanned, the below map appears to be the extent of publicly available data. This site is maintained by NOAA, so hopefully it gets updated with some frequency. I will add this to the original post as well. Many states appear to not have websites to manipulate topos or lidar without specific applications, so you would need to use one a standalone GIS tool to make use of it as Motivated suggested. Well worth the work if you use maps for scouting.

Of course, almost every property I hunt was skipped haha. I will just have to be patient for more scans to be released, I guess.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 am

I wonder how long before google earth, cal topo etc have LIDAR images
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 am

Jeff25 wrote:I wonder how long before google earth, cal topo etc have LIDAR images

Google earth seems to be doing their terrain with photo stitching algorithms. GE pro is compatible with importing laidar data sets, but google themselves don't seem to focus on lidar as an input.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm

CHALK_1 wrote:I downloaded a 2’ contour zip file for a county in NY, but all the file extensions are nothing I recognize and I can’t open anything…..do you need a certain program to view these??

It's hard to know without knowing what the extensions are.
RBrave

Unread postby RBrave » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:56 pm

IkemanTx wrote:
Jeff25 wrote:I wonder how long before google earth, cal topo etc have LIDAR images

Google earth seems to be doing their terrain with photo stitching algorithms. GE pro is compatible with importing laidar data sets, but google themselves don't seem to focus on lidar as an input.

Serving such a huge amount of data costs money. I guess this isn't really something users think about much, but it would be really expensive to provide the resolution to a huge user base. States are probably doing this because they are the main user of the data itself, and they have the infrastructure in place so it doesn't really cost them anything extra.

The guy who runs CalTopo regularly shares financials on his blog (here). Next time you get excited about using it, be thankful for the pro user base who pay subscription fees. Here's an image from one of his blog posts late last year:

CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:33 am

Ognennyy wrote:
CHALK_1 wrote:I downloaded a 2’ contour zip file for a county in NY, but all the file extensions are nothing I recognize and I can’t open anything…..do you need a certain program to view these??

.freelist
.gdbtablx
.gdbtable
.spx
.gdbindexes

greek to me...
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:33 am

Motivated wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

How were you able to get the LAS data into qgis?
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:40 am

CHALK_1 wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:

.freelist
.gdbtablx
.gdbtable
.spx
.gdbindexes

greek to me...

Those extensions are used by ArcGIS; top of the line map-building software. Using them to build a map is probably a bit of an endeavor unless you're familiar with ArcGIS.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”