High Resolution Topo Map Resources

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

Re: High Resolution Topo Map Resources

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 am

Jeff25 wrote:
Motivated wrote:
johndeere506 wrote:Wow that green image is amazing. I wonder if MI, OH and IN have something like that.

Thanks for sharing!

The whole state of Indiana has been scanned, and the data is free. I downloaded some of it and used qgis for free to download into a kmz file, and i can look at this in google earth. I'm not tech saavy either. I just did google and youtube searches, then kept working at it.

I would google your state name and LIDAR. Indiana was scanned between 2011-2013.

If you figure out to do the one foot contours let me know. For me it was not necessary, but I would like to learn how to do it for other properties.

How were you able to get the LAS data into qgis?

I cannot remember exactly. I am really not tech-savvy, so I was probably watching some YouTube video and pausing it over and over, following the steps exactly. I really don't deal with Q GIS anymore, I just got it into a kmz file, maybe I didn't use QGIS at all--it is possible I just remember I downloaded it. I'm viewing the files in google earth. This was a January project for me, so it has been months.

I looked up a tutorial and have a link for you. I cannot view on this phone now. Hopefully this is helpful.

http://gis.iu.edu/support/tutorials.php#tutorials

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am

There is nothing of any use in Ontario. Just a few square miles in the greater Toronto area.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:50 pm

https://www.unavco.org/search/search.ht ... gsc.page=1

UNAVCO has an education and resources section with a great PDF on using the Open Topography site to save data straight into kmz file format. You can open kmz files directly into Google Earth. No software necessary. I think this is basically what I did, but I used the USGS site. It is the same data. This link above should take you to the pdf file. It is the first one at the top of the list. Walks you right through it.

I think I downloaded Qgis with the plan to develop the contour lines, but it was a hassle (for me) and unnecessary after viewing the kmz in Google Earth.

Hopefully that helps.
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:18 am

All of Maryland is available as far as I can tell. There is a state run site that allows users to toggle between azimuth contours to hill shading etc. great tool. All free data. Seams you can download data sets by county also. Haven't tried that yet
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:06 am

Motivated wrote:https://www.unavco.org/search/search.html?q=Lidar#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Lidar&gsc.page=1

UNAVCO has an education and resources section with a great PDF on using the Open Topography site to save data straight into kmz file format. You can open kmz files directly into Google Earth. No software necessary. I think this is basically what I did, but I used the USGS site. It is the same data. This link above should take you to the pdf file. It is the first one at the top of the list. Walks you right through it.

I think I downloaded Qgis with the plan to develop the contour lines, but it was a hassle (for me) and unnecessary after viewing the kmz in Google Earth.

Hopefully that helps.

Awesome, thanks
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:27 pm

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I still can't get it converted. Opentopography doesn't have any Ohio data on it. I found it on earth explorer but can only download it as las or laz. But after that I can't do anything with it. Until I can convert it to a file that google earth can import.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

For those in Ohio like me, looks like we should have something like this soon. Of course, my area won't be done until 2020

http://ogrip.oit.ohio.gov/projectsiniti ... agery.aspx
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:06 pm

SplitG2 wrote:For those in Ohio like me, looks like we should have something like this soon. Of course, my area won't be done until 2020

http://ogrip.oit.ohio.gov/projectsiniti ... agery.aspx

Ogrip and usgs earth explorer already have lidar in my area
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:31 am

I changed my mind and decided to figure out how to get custom contours. It did not cost me a dime. I download some 2 foot contours on some different public properties I'm looking at.

Before I was simply looking at lidar data without aerial imagry overly. I eventually found it was a pain to toggle back and forth between aerials and lidar. This way I can overlay the custom contour to google earth and look at both conveniently. Here's how I did it.

You can choose the distance between contours. One foot, three feet, whatever you want. Standard USGS maps are at 10 feet.

Qgis is a free software download. Lidar data is free. I got this data from the web site open topopgraphy. Once I downloaded the raster data from open topography, I used qgis. I followed the tutorial below, with some minor changes.

http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/wo ... rrain.html

On step 14, I chose 2 (instead of 100) as the distance between contours. I also skipped steps 15 through 22. When naming your files(step 10 and 24), choose something that makes sense and store in a file folder for convenience.

At step 25, I just opened up google earth, chose "File", "then "Open", then selected my named kml file.

If I can do it, then you can too (assuming LIDAR has been scanned in your area).

Enjoy!

If anyone has any tips on the Avanza app or imports these contours into other phone apps, then I'm all ears.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”