Sweaty Clothing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SneakyHunter

Sweaty Clothing

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm

When you guys get to your tree, what do you put your sweaty clothing in? I've always used the XL ziplock bags but was wondering if there were any other options. Regardless of the weather, I walk in with either shorts/t-shirt or pants/t-shirt and I'm always soaked. I'm soaked even if i walk at a snails pace. I'm not worried about scent control, sweaty close are just a pain to carry around.

muddy

Re: Sweaty Clothing

Unread postby muddy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:23 pm

I wear wicking clothing (merino wool) and just keep it on till it air dries. I carry enough crap, I'm not packing extra clothes in/out. Sometimes ill bring dry socks, the sweaty ones get stuffed into my pack, no bag.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:27 pm

I wear moisture wicking clothing and fleece and/or wool. Layered. I sweat early and often amd stay plenty dry this way.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Wicking underlayers, sometimes a good 10 minute cool down with very few clothes on before I get in the tree is in order. Otherwise I just ride it out, that happens most of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:31 pm

I climb up in the tree with my sweaty clothes. After 4-5 hours on stand they air dry while I'm wearing them. ;)

Saturday I might have to wring them out first. :lol:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Dewey wrote:I climb up in the tree with my sweaty clothes. After 4-5 hours on stand they air dry while I'm wearing them. ;)

Saturday I might have to wring them out first. :lol:

X2

It's just the price of doing business!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:14 pm

The only time I change out of sweaty clothing is in cold weather and that is only to keep from freezing to death. Even then I just throw in a pack and hang em in the tree. If u have to funds wool is deff the way to go
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Same here......sweaty socks or base layer get switched out at the base of my tree and go into my fanny pack. Dry clothes will definitely keep you on stand longer on the cold days.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 am

If you're sweating even w shorts and a t shirt then idk if anything I can say would help. Ill just throw out a few things that might help someone in general...
*Pay attention to humidity percentages - It'll kill ya!
*Bandana - Catch the sweat w a light, easy to pack item. Save the hat til things settle down and cool off. I hate cooling off then the hat is heavy from sweat.
*Lighten the load - early season I carry bare essentials, then lighten it some more.
*Cabela's Bug Skiz - Love em!
*Field Wipes - Just tried these out and love them! I wipe my head down w 1 to stop sweating or cool off and it happens quickly. Could just take a small hand towel.
*Frozen Water/Water Bladder - Freeze some water or fill the bladder it to the top w ice, then water. Very cold drinks and can use it to get a rag wet and cool off more.
*Summer Scouting - This has helped me stop sweating IN season bc im used to running around in 90+ degrees.
*Milkweed - Know the scent stream. So I know the exact spot he cant get to before its game over.
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:48 am

I've hunted 6 out of the last 7 days and its been hot every day. I've tried everything but don't really have a good solution to offer. I just started wearing shorts and poly T-shirt. I'm going to stink either way so not much I can do about it.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:02 am

I don't change out of my sweaty clothes. I do try and take my time getting to the stand to reduce my sweating.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:30 am

When it's hot I leave it on. Helps cool me down. When it's cold, it sits at the base of the tree.

If a deer stops to sniff it, they might not make it out alive. Either by arrow or the stink. No way I'm putting my sweaty stuff into a pack or a zip loc. Opening that thing back up again, :snooty: not for me

I sweat through an orange tank during gun season last year getting to my stand. I'm used to being in wet clothes
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
AJB

Unread postby AJB » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:The only time I change out of sweaty clothing is in cold weather and that is only to keep from freezing to death. Even then I just throw in a pack and hang em in the tree. If u have to funds wool is deff the way to go

Exactly what I do. When it gets cold I go to wool. I love cabelas wooltimate line for cold weather.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Somewhat related to your initial question...Try taking an antihistamine, preferably a 2nd generation, like Claritin or Zyrtec. These will help to cut down on your sweating.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:36 am

A lot of good suggestions... I would key in on endurance training or dynamic body training now or in the off season. Something that allows you to stress your muscles and cardiovascular system at same time. This will over time make your body more efficient and decrease some of the sweating. This I have noticed personally. I consider myself a heavy sweater and would bring a change of under wear and t-shirt with a towel and dry off completely prior to ascending to my stand. I would do this on the coldest of days as well and it made made cold weather sits much easier to endure. It is amazing how how standing in the freezing cold half naked toweling off the sweat feels like the right thing to do..not cold at all.
go DEEP or go HOME

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”