Self filming cameras

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

Self filming cameras

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Looking to get into self filming and I'm stuck on choosing a camera. I'd like for this to be an investment. How would you place the priority of these?
Zoom, low light, 1080 vs 4K(for now I would be using the 1080, but I wouldn't have to upgrade later)
Here are my choices:

Canon g40
Pro- great optical zoom, good low light
Con- no xlr, no handle, 1080p

Canon xa30
Pro- great optical zoom, good low light, xlr, handle
Con- 1080p, expensive

Sony ax53- great zoom, 4K, great image stabilization
Con- subpar low light

Sony ax100
Pro- 4K, good low light
Con- subpar zoom, expensive,

comeback_kid

Re: Self filming cameras

Unread postby comeback_kid » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Divergent wrote:Looking to get into self filming and I'm stuck on choosing a camera. I'd like for this to be an investment. How would you place the priority of these?
Zoom, low light, 1080 vs 4K(for now I would be using the 1080, but I wouldn't have to upgrade later)
Here are my choices:

Canon g40

Canon xa30
Con- 1080p, expensive

Con- subpar low light

Sony ax100
Pro- 4K, good low light

1. Low light is pretty darn important for hunting filming, and really all filming in general

2. 4k is not as important. Have you edited yet in 4K? It's a RAM hog and not as important IMO for cameras as the manufacturers make it out to be

3. XLR inputs are important if you want to record audio such as a wireless mic on the hunter and a shotgun or video mic pointing at the deer. There is a workaround for this by using an external audio recorder such as the Zoom H6
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I use a JVC everio. Its a really nice cheap camera. Crisp 1080 HD. Works in low light. Easy to use. Very small, compact. Good battery life. I've self filmed for 3 years with it. It was about $200 i think. Not sure what your budget is but I love my little camera.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:21 pm

comeback_kid wrote:
Divergent wrote:Looking to get into self filming and I'm stuck on choosing a camera. I'd like for this to be an investment. How would you place the priority of these?
Here are my choices:

Canon g40

Canon xa30
Con- 1080p, expensive

Con- subpar low light

Sony ax100
Pro- 4K, good low light

1. Low light is pretty darn important for hunting filming, and really all filming in general

2. 4k is not as important. Have you edited yet in 4K? It's a RAM hog and not as important IMO for cameras as the manufacturers make it out to be

3. XLR inputs are important if you want to record audio such as a wireless mic on the hunter and a shotgun or video mic pointing at the deer. There is a workaround for this by using an external audio recorder such as the Zoom H6

1. Yes, Low light is essential. Would one of the lower quality sensors still beat my eyes? I'm wondering if it would still be sufficient enough to get me past my shooting time.

2. I don't plan on using the 4K right now for that very reason. I would like for this to be an investment and kind of future proofing. I also like idea of having a more crisp 1080 from the camera.

3. Where would you mount the zoom? Camera arm? Do you find it a pain to carry around?

Any thoughts or experiences?
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 pm

rfickes87 wrote:I use a JVC everio. Its a really nice cheap camera. Crisp 1080 HD. Works in low light. Easy to use. Very small, compact. Good battery life. I've self filmed for 3 years with it. It was about $200 i think. Not sure what your budget is but I love my little camera.

Do you have any videos uploaded to see how the camera performs in low light?
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Nothing uploaded with low light. Here a hunt last year...

YouTube isn't quite as clear as my original footage though.

https://youtu.be/VC587UdJDrE
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Divergent wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:
Here are my choices:

Canon g40

Canon xa30
Con- 1080p, expensive

Con- subpar low light

Sony ax100
Pro- 4K, good low light

1. Yes, Low light is essential. Would one of the lower quality sensors still beat my eyes? I'm wondering if it would still be sufficient enough to get me past my shooting time.

2. I don't plan on using the 4K right now for that very reason. I would like for this to be an investment and kind of future proofing. I also like idea of having a more crisp 1080 from the camera.

3. Where would you mount the zoom? Camera arm? Do you find it a pain to carry around?

Any thoughts or experiences?

1. Sensor size and quality are quite important as more light hitting sensor means more light in the image.

3. The Zoom would prolly need to be mounted either on a camera arm or on top of the camcorder(though this can interfere with operating the camera as well, so it's up to you.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Anybody have any experience with the Sony camcorders?
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 pm

I have an ax53
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:59 am

csoult wrote:I have an ax53

How well is the low light capability? Any regrets or things you wished you would've known before your purchase?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:38 am

rfickes87 wrote:Nothing uploaded with low light. Here a hunt last year...

YouTube isn't quite as clear as my original footage though.

https://youtu.be/VC587UdJDrE

Nice footage though
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:12 am

Divergent wrote:
csoult wrote:I have an ax53

How well is the low light capability? Any regrets or things you wished you would've known before your purchase?

So far so good. It has a larger sensor than the ax33 so it picks up more light. I haven't hunted with it yet so..... But I have used it at dusk and it does really well.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 am

rfickes87 wrote:I use a JVC everio. Its a really nice cheap camera. Crisp 1080 HD. Works in low light. Easy to use. Very small, compact. Good battery life. I've self filmed for 3 years with it. It was about $200 i think. Not sure what your budget is but I love my little camera.

Nice lil kill scene!!!
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:13 am

I think I'm just going to get the canon vixia g40...hopefully a refurbished one at a discount. Seems like the resale on these camcorders is good, so I can upgrade at the appropriate time. Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”