Sample Cyber Scout Map

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

Sample Cyber Scout Map

Unread postby Jlaneb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:57 pm

BEASTS,

I want to see more deer, and bigger deer, on public land. I hunt the Bama/GA line on a military installation. I want your input on my cyber scouting technique.
First I overlaid a TOPO on Google Earth to see contour data and imagery. Then I asked myself these questions:

1) Where is the pressure (Red polygon near public access)
2) Where is likely bedding (Blue Beds)
3) Red rings around beds are 200m radius (I draw these to attempt to guess where a mature buck could be during daylight assuming he's on his feet 30 mins before sun-down and 30 min after sun-up)
3) Where is Primary food (Green polygons, secondary foods are abundant as acorns drop)
4) Where is water (Blue)
5) Transition lines are marked in black

Next I plan to visualize how bucks may travel from bedding to food to water to bedding during early season, mark it on my map, and plan "going in blind" set ups. Before I move to that step, tho, I wanted some input from the beast community. Wind is usually blowing North to South. These are big woods. It's hot. Acorns are everywhere. Our land managers estimate 25 deer per square mile (yeah right). There are Soldiers blundering through the woods all the time. There are live fire ranges less than a mile to the North and a demo range just to the west. The deer are pretty resilient to "Soldier Pressure," but also seem to disappear like dutiful little whitetails when hunting season roles around.

I don't know. If you have questions, ask. Does this technique make sense? Am I on the right track? Do I need to just chill the eff out and go hunt?

You guys rock.

Same area, no topo.

BA-IV

Re: Sample Cyber Scout Map

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:05 pm

I ask hunt a military installation and the main problem I find is that there is TO MUCH access. There is roads absolutely every where that training takes place and it's really hard to find over looked areas, deep access areas, or areas with no pressure because people can go any where.

It takes a ton of boots on the ground to find buck beds in this situation in my opinion.
Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

Re: Sample Cyber Scout Map

Unread postby Jlaneb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:11 pm

BA-IV wrote:I ask hunt a military installation and the main problem I find is that there is TO MUCH access. There is roads absolutely every where that training takes place and it's really hard to find over looked areas, deep access areas, or areas with no pressure because people can go any where.

It takes a ton of boots on the ground to find buck beds in this situation in my opinion.

Yeah, man. I completely agree. I have a buddy who scouted five days a week starting 4 months out from the season. He runs 16 cameras at a time. Dude sees deer all the time. There is certainly a positive correlation to 1) Scouting and 2) Time on stand.

I face the challenge of being a young dad and husband and balancing my passion for my family with my passion for hunting. That said, I'm trying to AT LEAST choose some high percentage set ups under less than perfect conditions. Appreciate the response, man.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”