Deer weight formulas/charts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Deer weight formulas/charts

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:43 am

With the season approaching . Thought this might interest y'all. Especially if you don't have a scale. Link:

http://askthemeatman.com/estimate_deer_weight.htm

Personally I think that length should also be considered. Maybe even the length and girth of the neck.

Be interesting to see all of these measurements in conjunction with actual weights. Plus the differences from each part of the country.

Thanx

Chuck

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Re: Deer weight formulas/charts

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:53 am

I have a measuring tape I bought back in the early 90's that bases everything off girth and so far it's been really accurate as far as dressed weight and edible boneless meat.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:29 am

Interesting link Stash seems to be pretty close to what I have seen too.

Here's a range from the ones I have kept track of. I don't have much data on field dressed deer, I try to either get it out whole or pack it out. I know how full the stomach is can have an effect on live weight.
270 lbs on the hoof early season buck.....129 lbs of meat
255 lbs on the hoof prerut buck............120 lbs of meat
225 lbs on the hoof post rut buck..........105 lbs of meat
210 lbs on the hoof post rut buck...........95 lbs of meat
190 lbs on the hoof post rut buck...........85 lbs of meat

Processing yourself makes a huge difference if you want to talk # of meat. Many processors waste a lot from what I have heard other hunters talk about. For instance I have never heard of another hunter around here getting more than 100 lbs of meat back from the processor from any big buck yet I routinely get more than 100 lbs of trimmed boneless meat off a mature buck.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:36 am

JoeRE wrote:Interesting link Stash seems to be pretty close to what I have seen too.

Here's a range from the ones I have kept track of. I don't have much data on field dressed deer, I try to either get it out whole or pack it out. I know how full the stomach is can have an effect on live weight.
270 lbs on the hoof early season buck.....129 lbs of meat
255 lbs on the hoof prerut buck............120 lbs of meat
225 lbs on the hoof post rut buck..........105 lbs of meat
210 lbs on the hoof post rut buck...........95 lbs of meat
190 lbs on the hoof post rut buck...........85 lbs of meat

Processing yourself makes a huge difference if you want to talk # of meat. Many processors waste a lot from what I have heard other hunters talk about. For instance I have never heard of another hunter around here getting more than 100 lbs of meat back from the processor from any big buck yet I routinely get more than 100 lbs of trimmed boneless meat off a mature buck.

Exact reason why I never take deer to the processor. You lose meat, and it is always the better cuts. Scrap meat though, the amish by me make some fantastic sausage at good prices, and they are spot on for weights
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:15 am

I must be wasting a lot of meat, I don't get anywhere neat the amounts listed. I am rather picky, zero fat or sinew, but I don't know where all this extra meat is hiding.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:45 am

I don't think length really matter like it does in fish. At one time the PA Game Commission gave out weight tapes. You would measure the girth right behind the shoulder and the weight was not far off from tested weight on a scale. Here is some other info that may help estimating weight. http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=331 . You can do it with a string as well, as set down on the following chart put together by he PGC research Dept.
Accurately Calculate Deer Weight by the Heart
Girth Measurement Method.

By using a tape measure you can accurately
determine the weight of your deer. The girth of the
deer is measured, in inches, just behind the forelegs.
The heart girth measurement is converted to pounds
in the chart below. If you do not have a tape
measure, use a string. Draw the string tightly around
the deer’s chest, then measure the string with a ruler.
Heart Girth: Distance around the chest just behind the
forelegs, in inches.
Live Weight: In pounds; the weight of the animal onthe-hoof
before bleeding.
Dressed Weight: In pounds; the weight of the carcass
with all entrails removed.
Hide Weight, Blood Weight, Bone Weight (excluding
bones of the head): In pounds.
Edible Lean Meat: Boneless edible venison. What you
take home in the box.
Edible
Heart Live Dressed Hide Blood Bone. Lean
Girth Wt. Wt. Wt. Wt. Wt. Meat
20 49 32 1.9 3.3 8.0 23
21 53 35 2.3 3.5 8.4 24
22 56 38 2.6 3.6 8.8 26
23 60 42 3.1 3.8 9.2 28
24 65 45 3.5 4.0 9.6 30
25 69 49 4.0 4.2 10.1 31
26 74 53 4.5 4.4 10.7 34
27 79 58 5.1 4.7 11.2 36
28 85 62 5.7 4.9 11.8 39
29 91 68 6.3 5.2 12.5 41
30 97 73 7.0 5.5 13.1 44
31 104 79 7.7 5.8 13.9 47
32 111 85 8.5 6.1 14.6 50
33 119 92 9.4 6.4 15.5 53
34 127 99 10.3 6.8 16.4 57
35 136 106 11.2 7.2 17.3 61
36 145 114 12.3 7.6 18.4 65
37 156 123 13.4 8.1 19.5 69
38 166 132 14.5 8.6 20.6 74
39 178 142 15.8 9.1 21.9 79
40 191 153 17.1 9.7 23.3 85
41 204 164 18.6 10.3 24.7 90
42 218 177 20.1 10.9 26.2 97
43 234 190 21.8 11.6 27.9 103
44 250 204 23.5 12.3 29.6 110
45 267 219 25.4 13.1 31.5 118
46 286 234 27.4 14.0 33.5 126
This chart was produced with data collected by the
Pennsylvania State University - Department of Animal
Science, and the Pennsylvania Game Commission -
Division of Research.
NOTE: Chart does not take into consideration poor
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:33 am

[quote="woodswalker"]I don't think length really matter like it does in fish. At one time the PA Game Commission gave out weight tapes. You would measure the girth right behind the shoulder and the weight was not far off from tested weight on a scale. Here is some other info that may help estimating weight. http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=331 . You can do it with a string as well, as set down on the following chart put together by he PGC research Dept.
[/quote]

I don't know that I agree with this and I can only speak from the bucks I've killed and the handful of others I've seen weighed. There are at least 2 distinct "body type/sub species" in my area. Some bucks are thicker and shorter bodied with darker hides. These deer look like they should weigh(like little feeder cattle) the most but routinely field dress 20+ pounds less than similar age class bucks that are lighter colored and longer bodied. My deboned meat to field dress percentage is usually close to 55%.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am

Redman232 wrote:[quote="woodswalker"]I don't think length really matter like it does in fish. At one time the PA Game Commission gave out weight tapes. You would measure the girth right behind the shoulder and the weight was not far off from tested weight on a scale. Here is some other info that may help estimating weight. http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=331 . You can do it with a string as well, as set down on the following chart put together by he PGC research Dept.

I don't know that I agree with this and I can only speak from the bucks I've killed and the handful of others I've seen weighed. There are at least 2 distinct "body type/sub species" in my area. Some bucks are thicker and shorter bodied with darker hides. These deer look like they should weigh(like little feeder cattle) the most but routinely field dress 20+ pounds less than similar age class bucks that are lighter colored and longer bodied. My deboned meat to field dress percentage is usually close to 55%.[/quote]

I don't think length is the best measurement. I have seen a northwoods buck bottom out a 250lb scale with ease lay next to a buffalo county buck that weighed 225. Looked like a pig laying next to a work horse.

Length would tell you the buffalo county buck was bigger. The northwoods buck my dad shot is to this day the biggest buck I have ever seen in person. Took 3 people to drag it. This picture doesn't do it justice.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am

SneakyHunter wrote:I must be wasting a lot of meat, I don't get anywhere neat the amounts listed. I am rather picky, zero fat or sinew, but I don't know where all this extra meat is hiding.

Some common areas that I notice a lot of hunters don't get, having helped quite a few guys butcher...
- Neck meat all the way to the back of the skull & behind the jawbone. That is where I cut the head off I notice a lot of hunters cut the neck 6" or more behind the head and are done. On a buck with a swollen neck that can be quite a few pounds right there. Neck meat also takes some work to peel off without too much waste. Cooking with the bone in as a roast is an option.
- side meat, takes some work to trim off and separate fat but adds up to a few pounds, good for burger
- shanks...am amazes some guys don't even take them
- meat around the pelvis, if a guy just cuts off the rear quarter at the joint that actually leaves a pretty good sized roast on the top of the pelvis. Have seen other hunters not take it.

Just sharing some ideas of where I think people might come up short. I trim very close too, no fat, silver skin or tendons.

Lastly if a guy lets a deer hang a week I think it looses a few pounds of water weight
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:47 pm

JoeRE wrote:
SneakyHunter wrote:I must be wasting a lot of meat, I don't get anywhere neat the amounts listed. I am rather picky, zero fat or sinew, but I don't know where all this extra meat is hiding.

Some common areas that I notice a lot of hunters don't get, having helped quite a few guys butcher...
- Neck meat all the way to the back of the skull & behind the jawbone. That is where I cut the head off I notice a lot of hunters cut the neck 6" or more behind the head and are done. On a buck with a swollen neck that can be quite a few pounds right there. Neck meat also takes some work to peel off without too much waste. Cooking with the bone in as a roast is an option.
- side meat, takes some work to trim off and separate fat but adds up to a few pounds, good for burger
- shanks...am amazes some guys don't even take them
- meat around the pelvis, if a guy just cuts off the rear quarter at the joint that actually leaves a pretty good sized roast on the top of the pelvis. Have seen other hunters not take it.

Just sharing some ideas of where I think people might come up short. I trim very close too, no fat, silver skin or tendons.

Lastly if a guy lets a deer hang a week I think it looses a few pounds of water weight

My numbers are pretty close to Joe's from above, though I don't maintain near the records he does, and these were going to be my exact suggestions. The neck, flanks, and shanks are huge. The flanks take a fair bit of trimming and a good sharp fillet knife but are delicious marinaded and quick grilled over high heat. Also, used to spend major time trying to get the silver skin out of shanks then started saving them whole and braising them. Now my favorite cut. Posted a good recipe a couple of years ago in the wild game recipes thread.

I'd also add that I stopped being quite as picky with trimming for sausage and ground and if handled properly and done fresh, have not noticed a drop-off in quality of my ground (grind myself) or homemade sausage. Not saying I leave big sheets of silver skin or anything, but don't get as anal about it as I used to, which was getting every bit of it out. Saves lots of time and probably a couple pounds of meat total.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:20 pm

I tried using measurements years ago and it was not very accurate compared to the scale.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 am

I also see differences in length on our local deer. Two years ago I shot a puffy 5 year old buck that went about 160 dressed. I have shot and helped drag quite a few of the long deer that approached 200 even though their chests and necks were much smaller. I wish I could go back and keep track of the length on some deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”