Take on the heat or sleep?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

92 Degrees opening weekend, you hunting?

Only mornings
7%
Only late evening
20%
Don't care still hunting
52%
Not until it's cooler
22%

Total votes: 60
MossyOakJedi

Take on the heat or sleep?

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:40 am

Managed Hunt Opening weekend and it's going to be 90 plus degrees and humid. Who's hunting Hot and who's not!? I've heard can't let the heat keep you out of the woods and I agree but that's real hot.

The Fever will be with you, always.
thwack16
500 Club

Re: Take on the heat or sleep?

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:49 am

Hunt. The only way I'm not hunting if I have the time, is if I feel that taking the time to spend with my wife or do honey do list items will do me favors when conditions are more favorable. .
MossyOakJedi

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 am

thwack16 wrote:Hunt. The only way I'm not hunting if I have the time, is if I feel that taking the time to spend with my wife or do honey do list items will do me favors when conditions are more favorable. .

I agree with you there man all the way. Only have 9 days with managed Hunt I don't want to miss out. Especially when I know guys will be out also regardless. Now I'll pick the best times. Early morning. Late evening. Not all day till it's atleast in low 80s but I'm going to dive in.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:54 am

I will do an AM or PM hunt in the 80's but if it is in the 90's I'm working on the honeydo list to put some good will in the bank for the rut. :D

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
MossyOakJedi

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:56 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:I will do an AM or PM hunt in the 80's but if it is in the 90's I'm working on the honeydo list to put some good will in the bank for the rut. :D

Bob

Lol I mean that 90 degrees is intimidating I'll admit that. Especially if field edge with all that sun. Maybe a good water source and shade. It's just such a tough call.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 am

Water sources should be key if it's that hot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 am

I'm not planning a morning hunt this weekend. Just saturday evening. Gonna help my dad with his bow in the morning, and go scout a hardwood tract for my dad, and the bordering swamp for myself.

Sunday we are going to try and get into the river bottom and start working for gun season. Gotta clear the access trail again
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 am

I'm hoping the temps drop down to 92* for the opener :lol: :lol:

It's usually fruitless but I've been waiting since january to get back out there. I'll have plenty of water with me though.
MossyOakJedi

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:09 am

Jonny wrote:I'm not planning a morning hunt this weekend. Just saturday evening. Gonna help my dad with his bow in the morning, and go scout a hardwood tract for my dad, and the bordering swamp for myself.

Sunday we are going to try and get into the river bottom and start working for gun season. Gotta clear the access trail again

That's a real solid plan! I like that. Similar to what I'm thinking except I'm thinking maybe a morning hunt at a new spot just to get feet wet.
MossyOakJedi

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:10 am

JakeB wrote:I'm hoping the temps drop down to 92* for the opener :lol: :lol:

It's usually fruitless but I've been waiting since january to get back out there. I'll have plenty of water with me though.

Lol! Getcha a water bladder can't go wrong. I always have mine with me. Camel Pak! And I feel you man. I've been waiting so long. Weather will not stop me. Not all the way that is
MossyOakJedi

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 am

tgreeno wrote:Water sources should be key if it's that hot.

Creeks. Water holes. Near river? I was thinking of maybe a creek area with a small pool. Right off a trail edge.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:13 am

MossyOakJedi wrote:
Jonny wrote:I'm not planning a morning hunt this weekend. Just saturday evening. Gonna help my dad with his bow in the morning, and go scout a hardwood tract for my dad, and the bordering swamp for myself.

That's a real solid plan! I like that. Similar to what I'm thinking except I'm thinking maybe a morning hunt at a new spot just to get feet wet.

Nothing wrong with that. I could hunt sunday morning if I want, my stand wouldn't be in a bad spot for it to get deer coming back to bed. Would just need to get in early.

At this point in the season I shoot for productivity. Mornings I am not really confident in my set up ability so I am holding off for now. But nothing wrong with getting out there. Just take some water :D
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
MossyOakJedi

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 am

Jonny wrote:
MossyOakJedi wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. I could hunt sunday morning if I want, my stand wouldn't be in a bad spot for it to get deer coming back to bed. Would just need to get in early.

At this point in the season I shoot for productivity. Mornings I am not really confident in my set up ability so I am holding off for now. But nothing wrong with getting out there. Just take some water :D

Hey you know what you have to work with and know what's good and what's not! And yeah that going in real early thing can make or break during early season lol when you sweat in the morning it makes you want to punch a tree lol and yes absolutely plenty of cold water
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:18 am

MossyOakJedi wrote:

Creeks. Water holes. Near river? I was thinking of maybe a creek area with a small pool. Right off a trail edge.

Closest water source to secure cover/ bedding.
MossyOakJedi

Unread postby MossyOakJedi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:22 am

rbuckleyjr1 wrote:
MossyOakJedi wrote:

Closest water source to secure cover/ bedding.

So basically just a water source close enough that means they don't have to travel far from beds? Just curious. I'm kinda new to bed hunting still. Finding them and knowing of course but actually hunting them I'm still fairly new.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”