Sold color vs camo clothing.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ravenhunter

Sold color vs camo clothing.

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:35 am

Just curious what guys wear in the field. I've always been a camo guy but in the last couple years don't think it really matters. I was planning on wearing solid colours this season. Green or Tan pants with grey or black tops. Just looking for opinions. Also thoughts on UV killer sprays and uv killer soap, vs standard scent free soap. Where or not your clothes will glow when a deer looks at you. I've definitely noticed different clothes show up glowing in infared trail cam pics. Thanks.

Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Sold color vs camo clothing.

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 am

Solid colors make you look like a blob and really show your outline. Camo is to break up your outline so you blend in. You don't need fancy name brand camo to do that. Predator is very popular here.

As far as uv and scent soaps, way too many threads here on that stuff. Comes down to what makes you happy and helps your confidence. I don't care about scent of my clothes, and I don't buy the science because you will never know what a deer sees. It's all just a guess until you can go ask mr buck what he sees and can't see. But I know others feel differently about it and good for them. They feel confident in their equipment, as do I. Which is really the most important thing.

Search UV. Huge thread here maybe a week ago.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:02 pm

Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41637&hilit=UV+colors

I wear camo. It probably helps? Some don't think you need it. Wear whatever make you feel more confident!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:14 pm

tgreeno wrote:Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41637&hilit=UV+colors

I wear camo. It probably helps? Some don't think you need it. Wear whatever make you feel more confident!

Thanks for posting the link!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Like has been said, you don't need fancy camo, but camo does help break up your outline, particularly high contrast camo. Solid colors make your silhouette stand out a bit more. That being said, I am sure you could shoot deer in your underwear, but I suspect camo gives you a little more margin for error.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:38 pm

I don't believe in camo one iota as it relates to deer vision. I wear a lot of solids in the stand throughout the year, including my black rain gear and blaze orange in rifle season. My favorite hunting garment is a plaid wool shirt. Deer don't pick you out any easier. The more I think about it based on my experiences the more I think the whole "skylit" concept is a fallacy too. I think deer see one thing and that is movement.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm

elk yinzer wrote:I don't believe in camo one iota as it relates to deer vision. I wear a lot of solids in the stand throughout the year, including my black rain gear and blaze orange in rifle season. My favorite hunting garment is a plaid wool shirt. Deer don't pick you out any easier. The more I think about it based on my experiences the more I think the whole "skylit" concept is a fallacy too. I think deer see one thing and that is movement.

Pretty much how I feel. Deer really key in on movement. I read in a deer hunting book (can't remember which) that a deer's eyes are particularly keen at picking up on lateral movements more than vertical movements. Not sure how true this is, again its something I read a few years ago that stuck with me. I do feel like they can pick you off a little easier if skylined.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm

elk yinzer wrote:I don't believe in camo one iota as it relates to deer vision. I wear a lot of solids in the stand throughout the year, including my black rain gear and blaze orange in rifle season. My favorite hunting garment is a plaid wool shirt. Deer don't pick you out any easier. The more I think about it based on my experiences the more I think the whole "skylit" concept is a fallacy too. I think deer see one thing and that is movement.

I would agree with skylit concept some i
Of my best stands have been pretty wide open but I do wear camo
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:28 pm

The dark camo with little or no light highlights is no better than wearing a solid color. I wear camo more for drawing less attention from other hunters.

Yes if your still you can be skylined. But how do you draw a bow to shoot if your too skylined.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:48 pm

I try to wear light colored camo but i do wear plenty of solid colored clothing. I usually try to go for light colors like tan or gray.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 pm

stash59 wrote:The dark camo with little or no light highlights is no better than wearing a solid color. I wear camo more for drawing less attention from other hunters.

Yes if your still you can be skylined. But how do you draw a bow to shoot if your too skylined.

I do just the opposite to draw less attention from other hunters. :think:
Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 pm

tgreeno wrote:Here it is:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... =UV+colors

Thanks for the link.
Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:42 pm

I think the bigger patterns help some. I believe first time sits and being still are more important. If the deer havnt smelt human scent there before they won't be has cautious and you can get away with more
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:56 pm

If given a choice I like to climb in a giant tree, in these situations I don't think Camo helps one bit cause u r completely background by the tree. In cases where u are being skylighted or in smaller diameter trees I can see a benefit in a predator style Camo, when hunting on the ground with no front cover camouflage is most important in my opinion. But in any case remaining still and knowing when u can move will serve u best.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:23 am

Before open patterns I have been picked off sitting still by mature does, was shocked to see them peg me sitting still and then freak out a bit. This never seems to happen with the open patterns, I think camo isn't a necessity but it helps a little and that is enough for me to use it. No doubt the older camo patterns were designed to catch the eye of the hunter, the newer stuff actually works for breaking up your outline. One time I was on the ground and a group of does came charging in, I went for my bow in case there was a buck there and they caught movement. I had two mature does staring me down, one at 10 yards and the other at 20, they head bobbed and stomped and the whole 9 yards but they never spooked and slowly walked away. Had I been wearing an older camo or solid colors I think they pick me off clean and are in the next county minutes later.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”