Buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Archery9069

Buck bedding

Unread postby Archery9069 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 am

I am new to this blog and new to this hunting style . I bought one of dan DVD to learn more about this style . But my hunting tactics are usually rut tactics I hunt those two weeks hard . But I like the idea and the Challenge of hunting buck from his bed . My question is how many of you guys have success with hunting them from there beds ? And would like to here everyone story if this style ever work for them hunting a buck from his bed . I just got into all this bed hunting but I also would like pointers of a swamp I'm hunting on public land I found a apple tree in the swamp and have three mature bucks coming into the apples I got em on trail camera but the one buck only showed up once during day light the other two always night . But it's a spot every one over looks because it by the road and all high grass and red brush and very few trees . But I do have a stand set up by the apples and across the road Is private with soybeans. So my question is since I just got started on this bed hunting style and two weeks away from my season would it hurt to get in there and look for there beds ? I know I should've done this in the spring which I do scout in the spring but didn't for beds because like I said I'm just getting into this style .

oldrank

Re: Buck bedding

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am

I would not go in there. I would wait till season starts and hunt what you feel would be his exit route. Hunt it when you have a good wind. Plan a safe access route. After You hunt it then scout it if need be. Put it in your memory bank for late season or next year. Move on to the next one. You don't need to necessarily know exactly where his bed is to hunt it.
Archery9069

Unread postby Archery9069 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:05 am

I'm not going to go in there Intel those bucks start showing up to the apple tree on a regular basis they feel secured tho because it in high grass low wet land with red brush so once it gets colder I hope they start patterning to the apple tree better then I'll make sure my wind rite to hunt one of em . But thank you for ur advice... the one buck has a drop tin would really like to get him I'm sure he wise tho specially being on public land but that's why he in there never seen guys hunting it because there nothing but brush and high grass . But just like dan says they head to the big woods .
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Many threads if you search at the top for bed hunting and beast kill examples. I wouldn't go in messing around. Hunt it when you think it's right and if your wrong, go scout it out further and maybe next year you can give it another go with more in depth scouting and knowledge. Goodluckc
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 am

oldrank wrote:I would not go in there. I would wait till season starts and hunt what you feel would be his exit route. Hunt it when you have a good wind. Plan a safe access route. After You hunt it then scout it if need be. Put it in your memory bank for late season or next year. Move on to the next one. You don't need to necessarily know exactly where his bed is to hunt it.

I agree with this 100%
Archery9069

Unread postby Archery9069 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 pm

How do you know his exit rout if I don't know exactly where he's bedding ? Thanks guys for the advice like I said I'm to this hunting style so all your guys input is a huge help !!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Read up on simular areas in old threads. Cyber scout n make your best educated guess. Scout with stand on back. Hunt sign when you hit it. The Beast will only take you so far. We can't shoot your buck for you. Your gonna have to put boots on the ground n figure it out. This hunting style is based on layers of knowledge. Every hunt you learn. Find more bedding areas. Have 5-10 to hunt this year. Out of them 3 might payoff n you put in your rotation next yr. Plus you add 5-10 more. After a few yrs you have more than you need. Start stream lining and hunt the best ones. I'm not a pro. I've been here 4 yrs. I'm still learning. Every year I get better. It is a process.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”