Bumping a buck from his home area

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Muncy

Bumping a buck from his home area

Unread postby Muncy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:39 am

I have a question in regards to bumping a buck from his home base area. Before getting into the specifics I just want to say that I'm new to this Hunting Beast forum. I love all the content and the information shared here. I'm glad I stumbled across this forum when I did as I am a highly motivated to become a better, more knowledgeable hunter and can hopefully pass it on to my son and daughter.
I have a very nice 4 1/2-5 1/2 yr old buck on my property which my son/I saw in person last rifle season. We've gotten several trail cam pictures of him and and he is currently our number one target. I believe i have bumped him out of his core area through some projects ive done recently to enhance our opportunities. I spent about 2 hours with my son moving a tripod stand into some cover, trimmimg some branches and weed wacking a path to it about 30 yrds through crp. As we started this project I had an aha moment where we found what is probably one of his beds in a small Popple/Evergreen thicket 30 yards square. Also found 2 other large beds close by near other mature spruce trees. I never could figure out exactly where his core area was but I'm sure this is it. Its the highest point of the property with good sightlines and cover. it happens to be where the old farmhouse was. House is now gone and now its crp with a few mature evergreens. Property is 40 acres square. Theres 70 acres crp East of me, 17 acre popple woods south of me across a drainage ditch, 70 acre farmland west. No one hunts in those areas adjacent to my property. Across gravel road North of me there are "Brown its down" hunters.

I have a trail cam near a appletree thats a scrape hub. Cam has been there since july. Cheked it early august and he was there. Checked cam recently no pics of him since doing the work. Actually, camera has a branch overhaging thats messing with night pics....so i'm praying that maybe he has gone nocturnal and not left the area completely. But, I'm really worried I've screwed this up and he has moved. What r the chances he comes back? I have left scent in the area and it hasnt rained in a month or more other than drizzling a couple times. A very long winded question so I apologize.
Thx, Muncy

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Bumping a buck from his home area

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:27 pm

That's a very difficult question to answer! It depends how much your "enhancements", messed with his feelings of security on your property? If you messed too close to his bedroom, you may have relocated him? Then your next best chance may be the rut.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:11 pm

If I understood you correctly........you moved the tri pod into is core area in which from what you said sounds like his bedroom or very close, Close as in too close. If so yes you probably pushed him out because you are in his bedroom.....or at least that one. I would move the tri pod if that is correct.
My personal belief is that a buck in a pressured area by the time he reaches the age of 3 he has found his "safe areas". Its my belief that it would take more than the occasional intrusion to push a buck out of the area.
Muncy

Unread postby Muncy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Ok thx for replies. Hope it finally rains around here and i can to wash away my scent. I wont go into area again for st least another month, maybe longer, and then only to check trail cam near the access road. Whats done is done. Maybe it will all work out. May just need to down grade my expectations for the rut a bit. Just happy to have another season in my crosshairs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”