Western Kentucky

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mgaspari

Western Kentucky

Unread postby Mgaspari » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:32 am

Went out to some public land in western Kentucky last week, a quick 2 days just to see the land prior to week long October trip. At this piece of public (relatively large tract) there are no real ag fields near only some pasture land. There seemed to be plenty of browse for the deer to feed on it was extremely thick in most parts. They seemed to have put a hiking / horse trail down almost every ridge top, creating easy access. There are quite a few areas of scrub brush on the tops. I did not see a lot of sign or tracks crossing hiking trails, I even dropped down the ridge to cut a trail running parallel to hiking trail and found nothing (find quite a few in Ohio where I hunt).
My question is with these trail down the ridge tops, is it forcing the mature deer to bed down low or in these cut over areas (with extremely thick cut scrub brush)? It was a little disappointing not finding the sign where it should have been (at least where I thought). Any guys with some experience hunting this part of the state have any suggestions or advice?
Thanks

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Western Kentucky

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 am

What are you calling western KY? Alot of people call places western KY but it's central KY to me. I'm West of the lakes area. Where are you talking about?

If you are around my area, I might can help. I know a spot of public land that fits your description.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Mgaspari

Re: Western Kentucky

Unread postby Mgaspari » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Just east of the lakes, maybe 30-45 minutes east

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”