Drawing your own conclusion

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Drawing your own conclusion

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:20 pm

After my previous post I read the whole thread again. There are too many great posts to quote them all. So let's look at it from a little bit different perspective:

Who ever said "I decided to play it safe... and ended up killing him!"

:think: :think: :think:

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Agreed. As a wise man once said, “You do you boo boo”
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Lockdown wrote:Bumping this one.

IMHO this is the PERFECT time to figure out what's going on in those bedding areas that keep you up at night.

When was this sign made?

Who is home?

Is this rut sign?!?

should I get aggressive? <--- YES :lol:

SHOULD I HUNT HERE AGAIN?? :think:

The all caps sentence is one that I'm really working on with my own situations. I've pressured one area pretty hard so far this year and the deer haven't left :think: Not only haven't they left, they're there when the #1 food source in my area (standing corn) is close to a mile away. I'm in a low pressure area... shouldn't they be by the food? :think: These deer and this bedding area are teaching me a lot. Hunting this bedding 3 times in 1 month is heavy pressure according to Beast tactics. But I'm going to go in with confidence.

I scouted this bedding my first year as a Beast and wrote it off because of the lack of buck sign, although I knew it could easily hold a good buck. We all watch Dan's DVD's and read his teachings and expect to see those WORN beds. BIG beds. Rubs in the beds. All this buck sign that says HUNT HERE. Its suppose to be telegraphed, right? What I've learned is to trust the MAP.

Use the map in conjunction with hot sign. Right now to me the hottest of hot sign is a fresh track or large poop. I don't see many rubs and scrapes. If the map says hunt here, and I have a big track or large turd then I'm all in. One or the other is all I need to see.

I talked to Seazofcheese today. Friday he shot a buck that he unfortunately didn't find. He searched for it and left scent all over grid searching on Saturday. Sunday the landowner called him and said a good buck was near his stand location. Monday he hunted it again and had a great encounter. That's not suppose to happen, right? :?

Either that shouldn't happen, or a good spot is exactly that. Which situation are YOU in?

Are you going to sit back and think about it? Or dig in and find out?

I can't wait to see what happens on my 3rd hunt. 8-)

I couldn’t agree more with you on this post. People take things to heart too much. If an area is hot I’m in there and I’ll toss as many sits at it as I have to until I no longer see What I’m looking for. Less deer sightings sometimes. This in itself is very situational because I have had spots that I’ve hunted 3 days and saw the same action on the third day as I did on the first. Other spots I’ve had go cold after my second hunt. Could say it was cause of me and likely so but simply could have just been the time the deer were gonna shift over to a new bedding area closer to a different food source. Time of year also is a factor. Closer to pre rut/ rut I believe one can get away with more intrusion than say the early season when bucks are on pretty decent patterns. More prone to catch your scent in their area. Even then I believe that if you play off that first hunt sliding maybe 50-80 yards downwind that buck he may just skirt by checking that tree you were in and if you set up right he is a dead deer.

This spot I hunted in Illinois this year was getting hammered by pressure. Right in close to the buck bedding. The bucks were safe and could easily monitor the hunters that climbed up in this small island of trees right next to some wet stuff that the bucks were bedding out around. I found scent away face whips laying under a tree. Couple packs of them. Real fresh with the whip itself laying on the ground. Well the buck I shot came out almost directly under that tree. Conciencedence, I think not. I’m certain he was checking that tree well before slipping out there. I ran into a guy on the way out with my deer and he litterly told me he had pretty much hunting in there daily since the opener only missing just a couple days. Opener October 1 and I killed my buck on the 10th, spot had plenty of pressure to push the deer elsewhere. Bucks stayed right there tho bedding all along that edge of trees that guy was hunting from. Anywhere from 50-80 yards off that edge. I stayed out of the trees and on the ground backed off the freshest sign coming out and fortunately for me it played out.

I wouldn’t say that pressure doesn’t affect deer. It certainly does and I try to limit it when I can but I’m the type if I don’t know what is going on I’m gonna find out. If I blow the area up then so be it, at least I learned something from it cause I personally don’t have the time to sit back and wait for something to happen. I like to go in and try to make it happen. I again like the title and pretty much speaks for how I think, draw your own conclusions and don’t go so much on what all you have read or what someone else is telling you. Every situation out there in the woods is a little different than the last and every buck has his own personality.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:09 pm

Great bump LD, reread the whole thread and it is really has a pile of great info.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:22 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:

IMHO this is the PERFECT time to figure out what's going on in those bedding areas that keep you up at night.

When was this sign made?

Who is home?

Is this rut sign?!?

The all caps sentence is one that I'm really working on with my own situations. I've pressured one area pretty hard so far this year and the deer haven't left :think: Not only haven't they left, they're there when the #1 food source in my area (standing corn) is close to a mile away. I'm in a low pressure area... shouldn't they be by the food? :think: These deer and this bedding area are teaching me a lot. Hunting this bedding 3 times in 1 month is heavy pressure according to Beast tactics. But I'm going to go in with confidence.

I scouted this bedding my first year as a Beast and wrote it off because of the lack of buck sign, although I knew it could easily hold a good buck. We all watch Dan's DVD's and read his teachings and expect to see those WORN beds. BIG beds. Rubs in the beds. All this buck sign that says HUNT HERE. Its suppose to be telegraphed, right? What I've learned is to trust the MAP.

Use the map in conjunction with hot sign. Right now to me the hottest of hot sign is a fresh track or large poop. I don't see many rubs and scrapes. If the map says hunt here, and I have a big track or large turd then I'm all in. One or the other is all I need to see.

I talked to Seazofcheese today. Friday he shot a buck that he unfortunately didn't find. He searched for it and left scent all over grid searching on Saturday. Sunday the landowner called him and said a good buck was near his stand location. Monday he hunted it again and had a great encounter. That's not suppose to happen, right? :?

Either that shouldn't happen, or a good spot is exactly that. Which situation are YOU in?

I couldn’t agree more with you on this post. People take things to heart too much. If an area is hot I’m in there and I’ll toss as many sits at it as I have to until I no longer see What I’m looking for. Less deer sightings sometimes. This in itself is very situational because I have had spots that I’ve hunted 3 days and saw the same action on the third day as I did on the first. Other spots I’ve had go cold after my second hunt. Could say it was cause of me and likely so but simply could have just been the time the deer were gonna shift over to a new bedding area closer to a different food source. Time of year also is a factor. Closer to pre rut/ rut I believe one can get away with more intrusion than say the early season when bucks are on pretty decent patterns. More prone to catch your scent in their area. Even then I believe that if you play off that first hunt sliding maybe 50-80 yards downwind that buck he may just skirt by checking that tree you were in and if you set up right he is a dead deer.

This spot I hunted in Illinois this year was getting hammered by pressure. Right in close to the buck bedding. The bucks were safe and could easily monitor the hunters that climbed up in this small island of trees right next to some wet stuff that the bucks were bedding out around. I found scent away face whips laying under a tree. Couple packs of them. Real fresh with the whip itself laying on the ground. Well the buck I shot came out almost directly under that tree. Conciencedence, I think not. I’m certain he was checking that tree well before slipping out there. I ran into a guy on the way out with my deer and he litterly told me he had pretty much hunting in there daily since the opener only missing just a couple days. Opener October 1 and I killed my buck on the 10th, spot had plenty of pressure to push the deer elsewhere. Bucks stayed right there tho bedding all along that edge of trees that guy was hunting from. Anywhere from 50-80 yards off that edge. I stayed out of the trees and on the ground backed off the freshest sign coming out and fortunately for me it played out.

I wouldn’t say that pressure doesn’t affect deer. It certainly does and I try to limit it when I can but I’m the type if I don’t know what is going on I’m gonna find out. If I blow the area up then so be it, at least I learned something from it cause I personally don’t have the time to sit back and wait for something to happen. I like to go in and try to make it happen. I again like the title and pretty much speaks for how I think, draw your own conclusions and don’t go so much on what all you have read or what someone else is telling you. Every situation out there in the woods is a little different than the last and every buck has his own personality.

The last paragraph is exactly what I’ve learned. Took a few years to grow a pair and bust some bedding and make bold moves. So far, I haven’t regretted a single decision. The more aggressive I am the more I learn. I’m not learning a little more, I’m learning a LOT more.

This even applies to summer observations. I was out in the beans with them a couple hundred yards away, when I had the option of staying back 600-800 yards. Staying back meant I couldn’t see the low spot in the field, and that’s where the money is at so to speak.

I learned a ton.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 am

Lockdown wrote:
Bowhunter4life wrote:

When was this sign made?

Who is home?

Is this rut sign?!?

The last paragraph is exactly what I’ve learned. Took a few years to grow a pair and bust some bedding and make bold moves. So far, I haven’t regretted a single decision. The more aggressive I am the more I learn. I’m not learning a little more, I’m learning a LOT more.

This even applies to summer observations. I was out in the beans with them a couple hundred yards away, when I had the option of staying back 600-800 yards. Staying back meant I couldn’t see the low spot in the field, and that’s where the money is at so to speak.

I learned a ton.

this is a great thread with some great info, if anyone is following along PredatorTC's thread regarding his 2018 season he does a great job doing exactly what you guys are talking about as well...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”