Sight Reliance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fireforeffect

Sight Reliance

Unread postby fireforeffect » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:01 am

Will a mature buck forfeit his vision to bed in an otherwise advantageous location? Or will a primary bed "check all the boxes?"

bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: Sight Reliance

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:31 am

That is a great question. I've seen some nice bucks bedded in extremely thick cover where there is no way they could see more than a couple feet.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 am

A buck can see with his nose. It's like X-ray vision.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:51 am

To answer the question- yes a buck will sometimes bed with out a sight advantage. His #1 defense is his nose they set up for smell most of the time depending on terrian.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:10 am

All depends on the terrain. In marshes and swamps the deer can't see very far so nose and hearing are what they mostly depend on. In the hills I think it's nose of course along vision since bucks tend to bed up high and overlook alot of ground. You can beat all of the senses except for the nose. No matter where you hunt that is by far the biggest challenge.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 am

Primary bedding doesn't necessarily have to check off all the boxes. But they are usually still pretty bulletproof. Otherwise a mature buck wouldn't be bedded there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:35 am

Dewey wrote:All depends on the terrain. In marshes and swamps the deer can't see very far so nose and hearing are what they mostly depend on. In the hills I think it's nose of course along vision since bucks tend to bed up high and overlook alot of ground. You can beat all of the senses except for the nose. No matter where you hunt that is by far the biggest challenge.

I agree that bucks rely heavily on hearing in marshes and swamps, but I think it could be argued that they rely on hearing just as much or even more in hill country. Once the leaves are down it's probably easier in cattails to sneak into hunting range of a bedded buck without being heard than it is in hill country. Maybe having all 3 survival senses to their advantage is why they seem to move further in daylight in hill country. :think:
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 am

Yep. That's why they use standing corn
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks fellers. One of the properties that I hunt is a real mystery. When I figure it out I'll post the results here. Might be useful for someone.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 am

I haven't been able to find a ton of beds. But most of the ones in marsh/swamp terrain have very little sight advantage.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:04 am

Primetime41 wrote:
Dewey wrote:All depends on the terrain. In marshes and swamps the deer can't see very far so nose and hearing are what they mostly depend on. In the hills I think it's nose of course along vision since bucks tend to bed up high and overlook alot of ground. You can beat all of the senses except for the nose. No matter where you hunt that is by far the biggest challenge.

I agree that bucks rely heavily on hearing in marshes and swamps, but I think it could be argued that they rely on hearing just as much or even more in hill country. Once the leaves are down it's probably easier in cattails to sneak into hunting range of a bedded buck without being heard than it is in hill country. Maybe having all 3 survival senses to their advantage is why they seem to move further in daylight in hill country. :think:

Good point. Those leaves are a killer later in the season. Just about impossible to sneak around on a very dry day with little wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”