Rabbit and Quail hunting after deer season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chclark4

Rabbit and Quail hunting after deer season

Unread postby chclark4 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:27 am

I purchased a 450 acre farm in middle Tennessee. I have been working to improve bedding, improve cover, and providing food. My primary goal for this farm is to be able to shoot mature deer, even though I'm not expecting to raise B&C class deer. I also turkey hunt this ground. The farm is a hill farm and one large hollow. The food is planting in the valley that is surrounded by wooded ridges with 500' elevation increases.

My question is about one annual rabbit hunt and one annual quail hunt on this property after the deer season closes. Will the dogs from these two annual hunts add enough pressure to push mature bucks to my neighbors? My soybeans and other food have attracted a good population of rabbits and quail. Of course beagles will follow a rabbit, but I really doubt the rabbits will climb to the ridge-tops where I have improved bedding areas. Quail are very rare in my area these days, and I would very much enjoy renewing a wild quail hunt as I had as a kid in this area, but I don't want to hunt rabbits or quail enough to jeopardize my deer hunting.

gravebeforeshave80

Re: Rabbit and Quail hunting after deer season

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 am

I rabbit hunt a lot.....and I would say 1 hunt a season wouldn't make much difference, but I would still schedule it as late in the season as possible or as far away from your best time of the year to deer hunt
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
chclark4

Unread postby chclark4 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 am

Our rabbit and quail seasons are open through February. Our deer season closes in early January. I would likely plan both the rabbit and quail hunts for the month of February.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 am

I think you should be fine as long as you are not continually busting out the bedding areas. I would also wait until you are done deer hunting for the year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”