Do you Split the Pelvis?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Do you Split the Pelvis?

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:02 am

I have never split a pelvis. I have never hunted with anyone that has done this either. Seems like it would make gutting more complicated. Never seen a reason to cut anus out either, or seen anyone do it. I process all my own, usually half a dozen or more a year. Processing is a piece of cake now that I use the gutless method. I haven't gutted a deer in years, but I did for a long time.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:22 am

You don't see a reason to remove the anus? The best reason is so you aren't transporting a dead deer with the bowel full of crap that can contaminate the meat. Not removing the anus is very poor handling of meat. Nothing complicated about it, it is all part of proper field dressing.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:58 am

I have before but don't any more, not a big deal either way. Kind of like some guys hang them from the head, some the back legs.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:02 am

I used to. Then my brother bought me a but out tool as a gag gift. 2 years later i decided to give it a try. SOLD. It feels very inappropriate the first few times you use it, but makes field dressing a much cleaner exercise.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:17 am

Weaver.b wrote:I have a Havalon knife that I love. First thing I do is carefully cut around the anus till I can pull it out enough to tie a knot in it and then when I take the rest of the inards out I pull everything right out without any poo passing through the knot I made prior. We all have our ways of doing it and thats how I do it to eliminate the extra step of splitting the pelvis.

Cool idea. I'm gonna try this next weekend....hopefully
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:29 am

matt1336 wrote:
Weaver.b wrote:I have a Havalon knife that I love. First thing I do is carefully cut around the anus till I can pull it out enough to tie a knot in it and then when I take the rest of the inards out I pull everything right out without any poo passing through the knot I made prior. We all have our ways of doing it and thats how I do it to eliminate the extra step of splitting the pelvis.

Cool idea. I'm gonna try this next weekend....hopefully

Super sharp knife is the key!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 am

I typically do not.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 am

Was taught to split it to get everything cleaned out, generally still do that but have also done it the other way on bigger bucks I didn't think I could get my knife through. This is one I honestly don't think I have a strong, or even weak, opinion on either way.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:15 am

woodswalker wrote:You don't see a reason to remove the anus? The best reason is so you aren't transporting a dead deer with the bowel full of crap that can contaminate the meat. Not removing the anus is very poor handling of meat. Nothing complicated about it, it is all part of proper field dressing.

If you are quartering the same day it makes zero difference. I've cleaned and butchered over 100 deer and never cut one out. My deer meat is just fine. Ive seen guys bust the sack and ruin meat while taking the anus out so which is worse :lol: Not dogging on you but it does't ruin the meat in every case. Just depends on your processing procedure.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:29 am

flinginairos wrote:
woodswalker wrote:You don't see a reason to remove the anus? The best reason is so you aren't transporting a dead deer with the bowel full of crap that can contaminate the meat. Not removing the anus is very poor handling of meat. Nothing complicated about it, it is all part of proper field dressing.

If you are quartering the same day it makes zero difference. I've cleaned and butchered over 100 deer and never cut one out. My deer meat is just fine. Ive seen guys bust the sack and ruin meat while taking the anus out so which is worse :lol: Not dogging on you but it does't ruin the meat in every case. Just depends on your processing procedure.

Yep. Even if I would hang a deer I would simply cut the colon as far back before the anus as possible and make sure no crap is behind that. Worst case scenario some pellets come out the anus or fall into the cavity while gutting it is no big deal and will not ruin anything. If you bust the sack trying to remove the anus that is another story...That will ruin things.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
gravebeforeshave80

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:42 am

I split it for 2 reasons 1. To avoid obstruction when rinsing the cavity 2. I seem to be able to pack more bags of ice inside the animal.
as far as removing the cornhole Ive been using the buttout tool for a few years and it works great
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 am

I do when I'm in an easy spot to gut
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Really kinda surprised at all the conversation on this topic. Guess we are all ready to string some deer up. Awesome. Good luck BEASTs
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:45 pm

I was taught to do it that way so still do it. I do use the but out tool. Takes about 10 seconds to use and clears everything out real easily.

Main reason I split the pelvis is to open up the deer and cool it off. I don't have my butcher near where I hunt so want the deer to cool off the best I can. My father uses a pair of pruners now, only takes him a few seconds to open it up.
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 pm

I've never done it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”