Horizontal rub year#3

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Horizontal rub year#3

Unread postby tim » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:56 am

Year #1 after getting lots of bucks on cam the cam decided to fail when a buck destroyed the rub and flipped it over and ripped it off the tree
Year #2 after getting lots of buck pics the batteries died in cam so I moved the cam, once again another buck demolished the rub and broke it from the posts and it ended up on the ground and useless
Year #3 current..... camera in place fully functional/ lithium batteries. Time will tell . On a side note I also placed a mock scrape with overhanging rope for "licking branch" within 30 yards to see how they take to it.
Not trying to pattern deer here just taking inventory and see what/if they get used

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Horizontal rub year#3

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:59 am

Looking forward to see how it goes. I've been wanting to try one since I saw a few videos on YouTube about it. Just another one of the things I didn't have time to get done this year.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:01 am

I still can't believe that works. Now I have to try it. How did you/do you decide where to put it? Are you by a main travel route, by food, by bedding? thanks!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 am

I am also looking forward to the results. I have wanted to try this ever since I saw Ted Millers videos a yr or two ago. I think it would result in some cool trail cam pics.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 am

Mine is on a natural travel route that bucks always use but it's also on a transition line from a logging road/ property line. In other words where the transition line crosses a natural travel route. I also start a mock scrape at that exact spot . The deer use the mock scrape more but they do use the rub and seem to hang around it and sniff it a lot. I don't use any scents. I'm not trying to kill anything off of it just do it to see how well it gets ised
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:10 am

jman22 wrote:I am also looking forward to the results. I have wanted to try this ever since I saw Ted Millers videos a yr or two ago. I think it would result in some cool trail cam pics.

That's who I saw as well, I couldn't remember his name. He had some awesome footage of bucks working those rubs.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
jman22 wrote:I am also looking forward to the results. I have wanted to try this ever since I saw Ted Millers videos a yr or two ago. I think it would result in some cool trail cam pics.

That's who I saw as well, I couldn't remember his name. He had some awesome footage of bucks working those rubs.

He sure did ! I think one of the MWW guys tried it also with good results.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:57 pm

So basically all you do is tie up a small tree sideways? What makes them tear it up?
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:14 pm

I found a tree last year that grew horizontal and was tore up. Makes me want to go check it out again this year. :think:
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:16 pm

i have been using pine branches off a buddys tree. I fasten it to 2 regular trees. the end hangs out into there travel route and one of the trees its fastened to I create a mock scrape also. so they have two thing s to entice them. I don't have any pines in my area other than some cedars in my pasture so its a different smell already they aren't used to. I scrape up the pine branch good and it reaks like pine and is sappy. I used a little smaller diameter branch this year , not sure that was smart the way they demolished them the past 2 years.
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:40 am

I've made 2 horizontal rubs with cedars trees and yet to have them work unfortunately :think:
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:43 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:Looking forward to see how it goes. I've been wanting to try one since I saw a few videos on YouTube about it. Just another one of the things I didn't have time to get done this year.

There more common than you think! Your probably just stuck in a mind set that rubs were always supose to to be on that straight vertical tree. I never thought about it till i coaght an article along time ago talking about it. Ive seen sevreral since then on bent over trees. There around just have to have an open mind and a eye to see them!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:49 am

It's been around a month so I checked that horizontal rub cam, and wouldn't you know it a raccoon climbed my stic n pic and knocked my cam into a down position and kept messing with it...... it never fails I think my horizontal rub cams are cursed lol. I reset it and tried again. I did have three small bucks in velvet sniffing and working overhanging branch and a couple does sniffing and licking also one button buck working the rub. It got knocked down befor hard antlers. To be continued
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Keep us posted! I'd like to try this.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 pm

I meant to try one this year but just ran out of time to put it up. I hear a pine branch is the best to use because of the sap. I may try one in Late October on my first trip to hunt. Put it somewhere I walk by and just see if it gets hit at all. Have a main access trail that seems to always have a lot of rubs, may try there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”