Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Scent Control Podcast with Dan Infalt & John Eberhart

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 am

J.W.83 wrote:I have listened to all 3 parts of the podcast, and read through this entire thread, as well as some other threads linked from here. I’m unconvinced of just how effective scentlok is, if at all, and the process needed to ensure everything is scent-free could give a pill a headache. I agree with Dan that I hope they never find a way to fool a deer’s nose, as it really is in the spirit of hunting to learn how to deal with avoiding detection. I don’t know much about J.E., but in what I’ve heard and read, he comes across as dismissive, at best, and I can’t help but question his motives in the information that he does share. He’s clearly a great hunter, but it was strange that he blew off bedding tactics and wind, and yet, the tactical information that he does share discusses these heavily. I wonder if his hunting success has taken its toll and given him tunnel vision and made him complacent, which would be a shame, as the stand he’s taken on scent control is divisive, and in reality, he would fit right in here otherwise, as was mentioned in this thread. Was definitely an interesting listen.

Some people are just divisive and arrogant period...it’s just their personality and being somewhat of an expert on a given topic can really bring out the bad parts of a person’s personality. Not everyone of course but for some it does.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:04 am

After the first episode I found myself fast forwarding everytime JE talked. I could smell his ego. Not for me
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 am

John hunts 30 plus feet high. Can’t beat a whitetail s nose.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:02 pm

OH nontypical wrote:John hunts 30 plus feet high. Can’t beat a whitetail s nose.

I wonder how often he hunts at ground level. If his system is foolproof bucks would come from every direction since they can’t smell him. That would obviously be the most exciting way to kill one.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Dewey wrote:
OH nontypical wrote:John hunts 30 plus feet high. Can’t beat a whitetail s nose.

I wonder how often he hunts at ground level. If his system is foolproof bucks would come from every direction since they can’t smell him. That would obviously be the most exciting way to kill one.

Any interview I’ve seen or heard he says he hunts nose bleed high. He has a Great Wall of bucks so whatever he’s doing is working for him but nobody can be truly scent free. When I’m S OHIO hill country I always go very high and use to think I was scent free because I didn’t get busted. I now know better.

Again I’m not saying He isn’t a great hunter just that it’s impossible to beat a whitetail nose.
DEER SLAYER 269

Unread postby DEER SLAYER 269 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:46 pm

I thought the podcast was great and would like to add i use and believe in scent loc and i also use deer dander.
:clap:
BBD BABY !
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:49 pm

DEER SLAYER 269 wrote:I thought the podcast was great and would like to add i use and believe in scent loc and i also use deer dander.

I think the key is to each his own. I use to go nuts over scent control to the point it was ruining my hunting. I try to make sure not to add any foreign odors and use perfume free due free soap as I don’t like any perfume smells and have even had skin reactions to some detergents and shampoos with stinky stuff.

I am a much happier hunter now that I don’t obsess about scent control anymore but again to each his own.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:57 pm

DEER SLAYER 269 wrote:I thought the podcast was great and would like to add i use and believe in scent loc and i also use deer dander.

I'd like to see you go without either for a year and hunt the same way you already do. Keep a journal and look at your results after the year is over. I bet you'd be surprised.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:05 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:

I'd like to see you go without either for a year and hunt the same way you already do. Keep a journal and look at your results after the year is over. I bet you'd be surprised.

I have been hard core crazy scent routing for the last few years... next year I am going total opposite and just playing wind and thermals. I am going to post about it after the season. I can tell you I was winded on multiple occasions this last year while following my routine as strict as ever.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”