Beds in bottoms

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Beds in bottoms

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 pm

I live and florida which does not have a lot of hills. The few we do have are very slow rolling. I know everyone talks about the beds being on the top 1/3 of the hill but i seem to notice more of the beds to be located in the bottoms here. Anybody else have this experience? When i say bottom i pretty much mean the bottom especially in hardwoods and pine flats.

"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Redman232

Re: Beds in bottoms

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:43 am

I see this also in a lot of the flatter ground I hunt. Typically I see it associated with a vegetation change. If everything is equal (cover & Pressure) from my experience buck prefer higher ground. Doe groups pretty much just take the best cover they can find.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:49 am

Well I suggest learning transition or wetland bedding quickly. Its a slightly different game down there no doubt. I also suggest using the search button to check out some related threads for your specific area. I believe Tufrthnails, Palmetto Kid, PK all hunt FL...? Search for Palmetto Kid's posts. The biggest bucks I saw while living in FL were in a thick transition/edge of tree line that ran parallel to a lake. So the order went Lake>200yds of underbrush>Thick skinny treeline running parallel to a lake. I spoke w another member awhile back about his buck he shot, asked how he got onto it. Bobbo1686 has a way to map contour lines within 1ft which means every subtle elevation change is shown. The member said the buck was living on a small mound that was only slightly higher than ground level. Maybe a few feet...the mapping helped him find the deer I believe. The mapping does cost money to get it done and not all areas are cable of being mapped. I have yet to be able to use his service but its pretty incredible, could help accelerate the process. Hope some of this helps you! Dont get discouraged, it can be tough but persistence is your best quality.

Here is the link to his original mapping thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36493
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks for replies
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:31 am

I wouldn't use bobo for maps. I tried to get some maps made and he couldn't do it. The problem is I paid him a pretty good amount and i havn't had a reply message since Jan. He responded that he couldn't do it but when it came to a refund crickets. Just saying.

Eddie I notice the same thing for the most part but I have found beds up on the hill but they always seen to be about the same elevation. Think if the average peak elevation is 30ft you could see bed clusters around 20ft elevation. That's about 1/3 elevation in relation to sea level. The thing is a lot of those spots are easy access so the deer get pushed to the bottoms or swamps.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 am

Yes I have found the same to be true in FL, even in the few areas that I have found tall, steep, thick ridges, the deer were still in the bottoms.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:02 am

Buckshot20 wrote:I wouldn't use bobo for maps. I tried to get some maps made and he couldn't do it. The problem is I paid him a pretty good amount and i havn't had a reply message since Jan. He responded that he couldn't do it but when it came to a refund crickets. Just saying.

Eddie I notice the same thing for the most part but I have found beds up on the hill but they always seen to be about the same elevation. Think if the average peak elevation is 30ft you could see bed clusters around 20ft elevation. That's about 1/3 elevation in relation to sea level. The thing is a lot of those spots are easy access so the deer get pushed to the bottoms or swamps.

:shock: Good info man. Glad you said something
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:55 am

I hunt coastal NC and it sounds like our areas share a lot of similar features, low rolling hills with swamp bottoms and plenty of marsh.
I've noticed the same thing, a few beds in the hills, and the majority of the bedding is in the swamp bottoms and marsh. When the pressure gets high or the leaves drop the hill beds are abandoned and it's mostly a swamp and marsh game for secure bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”