Silencing a climber as much as possible??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckbreath

Re: Silencing a climber as much as possible??

Unread postby Buckbreath » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:51 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Stealth strips are like beer.....they make everything better.

Awesome!!!

Go slow. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

1bhtr

Unread postby 1bhtr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 pm

I've been using a viper since 2000 and also have a xop since I found the beast. The climber gets used most of the season depending on where I'm hunting. I use the xop and sticks in the willows which are hard to find a tree to climb... a couple of years ago my friend and I modified the viper with the hazmore outdoor products silent seat, back rest, and stablizer straps. All of those where huge increases in quiet as well as comfort. If you were going to get just one I would recommend the stablizer straps, nothing is worse than going to strap the top of the stand to the tree and it falls to the bottom portion with a large metal bang! I wouldn't use a climber with out them now... As other's have said just go slow and you will be quiet.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Josh_S wrote:I have a summit viper, one thing I am annoyed by is the noise it makes when carrying it on my back. The tighter the clench strap around both platforms when carrying the less clanging you get. I even bought an extra strap and it helped. As other said, I would wrap paracord or something around the top rail to avoid clanging your bow or release on the metal.

**Be sure to use a short rope attaching your top and bottom platforms*** In my opinion, climbers should be manufactured this way. I had a very close call a few years ago when my bottom platform slid part way down the tree when I was about 25 ft up. Not sure what would have happened if I wasn't wearing a harness.

3rd Hand Archery makes the best stabilizer straps. They also make some other good products specifically for summit vipers.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:04 am

Josh_S wrote:I have a summit viper, one thing I am annoyed by is the noise it makes when carrying it on my back. The tighter the clench strap around both platforms when carrying the less clanging you get. I even bought an extra strap and it helped. As other said, I would wrap paracord or something around the top rail to avoid clanging your bow or release on the metal.

**Be sure to use a short rope attaching your top and bottom platforms*** In my opinion, climbers should be manufactured this way. I had a very close call a few years ago when my bottom platform slid part way down the tree when I was about 25 ft up. Not sure what would have happened if I wasn't wearing a harness.

I use my Third Hand stabilizers for all of the that.

I move them to the platform and use both to cinch the platforms tightly together. You can see them to the left and right of the pack in the following picture.

When I set up on the tree I connect them loosely for the climb. With two straps if the bottom drops out it will only drop a 6-8 inches and it will stay in the proper position on the tree.

When I get to stand height I cinch them down to lock in the seat platform so it doesn't come loose when I stand up.

The stirrups, rope, and strap for the top platform sit on a shelf.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:44 am

Many good suggestions here. I'll also suggest the Stealth Strips. Covering your Summit in a layer of Stealth Strip should make that puppy much, much quieter.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”