UV on clothing and deer vision

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

UV on clothing and deer vision

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Does anyone have much experience with the UV laundry detergents and working to reduce UV fibers on their hunting garments? I listened to a podcast on whitetail watch and it got the gears turning. I never really paid much thought towards it but If they see different, than us, it might be worth paying attention to. They said deer can see blue extremely well, which is how UV makes a lot of clothing appear.

docwaters

Re: UV on clothing and deer vision

Unread postby docwaters » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:52 pm

I always use a UV Killer detergent initially upon purchase, then either use that or detergent with no UV brighteners. Be careful with "Free" non-hunting regular detergents, they may be scent free, but most have UV brighteners
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:12 pm

I just use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide when I wash my hunting gear then let it air dry with ozone machine running.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm

I look at all hunting clothes with a black light flashlight and the ones that have blue fibers I use Atsko uv killer- Sport wash.

It destroys 80-90 percent of blue fibers.However I have yet to see it destroy all the blue. Most hunting clothes nowadays are orange fibers so Atsko most of the time is not needed.

Not really sure how much it helps with deers vision but it kills blue fibers permanently for about 2 dollars a garment a bottle last a long time. So it's not a huge cost in the long run.

When I normally wash clothes I just use baking soda.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:07 am

My hunting clothes get washed in UV killer and scent free detergent. Everything from my jeans and flannel shirts to camo and fleece.

I believe it is a real risk - not only for deer but also for ducks, turkey and other game.

I also don't know any hunters who use a "brightening" detergent.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:20 am

I've used them. Not sure how much of a difference it makes. Marketers always think of something else we need to fool the deer like our force field or whatever they're selling now. I think controlling our scent stream by playing the wind is most important
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 am

don't risk it hunt naked!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:00 am

I use scent killer powder cloth wash detergent with no UV brighteners. Been using it for years.

Not sure if it helps, but why take the chance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 am

Look for the hypo-allergenic detergent it has no brightners or scents. I do use the uv killer stuff (I can't remember what it is called) when I first buy a garment, but I have some stuff that hasn't been treated now since some of it hasn't needed it after checking under a black light.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 am

I never used the stuff, never will, I am not going to help the snake oil salesmen get richer. How many millions of deer and other game have been killed before someone came up with another gimmick to lasso hunters. There is no way of knowing if the stuff works, someone buys some, uses it and kills a deer and they believe it works, it is all anecdotal. Can deer see UV, probably, however, it is movement not color that gives hunters away.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:25 am

woodswalker wrote:I never used the stuff, never will, I am not going to help the snake oil salesmen get richer. How many millions of deer and other game have been killed before someone came up with another gimmick to lasso hunters. There is no way of knowing if the stuff works, someone buys some, uses it and kills a deer and they believe it works, it is all anecdotal. Can deer see UV, probably, however, it is movement not color that gives hunters away.

Actually I think this is a really easy test with a black light from the research I've done. I just don't have a black light. For $5 bucks a bottle I think I'll risk it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:28 am

Brad wrote:
woodswalker wrote:I never used the stuff, never will, I am not going to help the snake oil salesmen get richer. How many millions of deer and other game have been killed before someone came up with another gimmick to lasso hunters. There is no way of knowing if the stuff works, someone buys some, uses it and kills a deer and they believe it works, it is all anecdotal. Can deer see UV, probably, however, it is movement not color that gives hunters away.

Actually I think this is a really easy test with a black light from the research I've done. I just don't have a black light. For $5 bucks a bottle I think I'll risk it.

Years ago I bought a black light flashlight just for this reason. It's amazing how much some clothing glows especially the overseas stuff which unfortunately is where most of the stuff comes from these days. All of my old USA made camo has zero UV glow. The studies I have seen how clothing glows was pretty convincing to me. What deer see is totally different than us.
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:41 am

Dewey wrote:
Brad wrote:

Years ago I bought a black light flashlight just for this reason. It's amazing how much some clothing glows especially the overseas stuff which unfortunately is where most of the stuff comes from these days. All of my old USA made camo has zero UV glow. The studies I have seen how clothing glows was pretty convincing to me. What deer see is totally different than us.

X2

It is proven scientific fact that deer see UV at a higher intensity than we do.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:44 am

There are some products out there that are garbage, nearly all the scent control products for example. Part of being a good hunter is certainly woodsmanship, but also controlling what you can control. People are quick to bash everything except a stand and sticks anymore it seems, where as to me I think before we scoff something off, we should look at it closer.

Sure people killed deer without it back in the day, they also used cat gut strings too. The modern day clothing is nothing like the stuff that used to exist, and I think that's where the difference is.
rthunter

Unread postby rthunter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:07 am

docwaters wrote:I always use a UV Killer detergent initially upon purchase, then either use that or detergent with no UV brighteners. Be careful with "Free" non-hunting regular detergents, they may be scent free, but most have UV brighteners

Xs 2 - In my opinion I work to hard playing the wind, scouting, and all the other things to let something make a negative impact.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”