Early archery beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Early archery beds

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:26 pm

My cousin and i have a couple beds we want to hunt. We really want to wait til the right time and hunt them in the evening. The problem is that there will be a ton of people around them opening day most likely. Not because they know there is a bed but because they will be aimlessly wandering around. This is where the dilemma is. If we wait to hunt it in the afternoon the deer will probably be pushed out and not there. So should we make an attempt at sitting on or near thr beds in the morning the first day? Is it worth the risk or should we just wait and take our chances? Anybody else have a similar situation happen with them? What was your approach and your outcome?

"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Early archery beds

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Place sounds like a real cluster. If I really felt it was a high percentage spot even amongst that kind of pressure I would hunt somewhere quieter the first day and let things settle down a week or two then head in there on a weekday when its cool and the wind is right.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Eddiegomes83 wrote:My cousin and i have a couple beds we want to hunt. We really want to wait til the right time and hunt them in the evening. The problem is that there will be a ton of people around them opening day most likely. Not because they know there is a bed but because they will be aimlessly wandering around. This is where the dilemma is. If we wait to hunt it in the afternoon the deer will probably be pushed out and not there. So should we make an attempt at sitting on or near thr beds in the morning the first day? Is it worth the risk or should we just wait and take our chances? Anybody else have a similar situation happen with them? What was your approach and your outcome?

From a distance try to determine there escape route from that bed. Set up a ways down it, and get there early let those other knuckleheads push em in your lap!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Yeah what kinda sucks is that these are pretty well used beds but they are easily accessible. Wet do have harder to get to ones but was curious if we should hit these easy ones first before they get screwed. Last year the buck appeared to stay in the area all year because we seen his tracks there all year. So maybe the pressure isnt running him off. Apparently he can work around it.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Eddiegomes83 wrote:Yeah what kinda sucks is that these are pretty well used beds but they are easily accessible. Wet do have harder to get to ones but was curious if we should hit these easy ones first before they get screwed. Last year the buck appeared to stay in the area all year because we seen his tracks there all year. So maybe the pressure isnt running him off. Apparently he can work around it.

Put yourself in a buck's hooves. Spend your while life trying not to get shot and thru instinct and a couple years of knowledge you find a perfect bedding location where you think you can sense danger from any direction. Are you going to abandon that bedding area because you encountered a human, or is that going to reinforce that it is a great bedding area and go right back there counting on the terrain characteristics of that location to save your bacon again?
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Get out there earlier than the other guy. I always like to start hiking around 1-2p on opening day and take my time getting to my stand. I figure being the first truck near a public area always deters some percentage of other hunters.

Get in those stands to hunt those beds and have a plan B in mind if you get walked in on. Also, will the other people really wait until opening day or will they be in there now until opener scouting and such? I always count on pressure pushing the bucks to the harder to access beds.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:08 pm

I would take your best guesses and set-up on their escape routes from that bedding opening morning. If it's no dice and they stay put, then you can bed hunt as planned in the afternoon! Even if they use different escape trails, you'll most likely see them. Then at least you'll gain intel for next time!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:34 pm

If there are really that many guys around, you may be better off hunting the beds you have located farther back, as the bucks may have been pressured back into those areas already.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Will people be walking in the beds? I remember reading something on here saying that some bucks will tolerate pressure up to a certain distance (each buck being different) from the bed, this could be a couple hundred yards. Otherwise the escape route idea sounds pretty dang good.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 am

It is a possibility that people will walk in the beds. I dont believe many people even know what a bed looks like. They like myself used to know, they bed in certain areas or locations but never actually look for A BED. So with that said i am sure they will walk all over it if they are walking around.

freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:36 am

If the bed is in an overlooked spot that doesn't experience human intrusion then the deer expect people to be in the area just not where they bed. If the beds you are describing are very well used the people should not bother them. You have to really evaluate your spot based on scouting and past use in order to determine. If it isn't as I described I would not waste my time hunting because the bucks would not be there when season was open.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:08 am

Maybe sit just close enough to the beds in the morning. To monitor whether or not hunters actually go near the bedding area. In my book this is a win, win situation. You'll know for sure whether or not the beds actually get pressured. If not you've got a good spot that should work for the future also. If it does, get pressured, you know it for sure and can now cross it off your list and move on. With out any doubts!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:26 pm

If it's getting that much pressure I would find a harder spot to.access. My best spots I rarely ever see people. The spots I run into people the most are where I see deer the least.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”