lonewolf, stick quiver and bow backpack

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

maukings

lonewolf, stick quiver and bow backpack

Unread postby maukings » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:43 am

Hi guys, I have the alpha stand and was wondering if anyone has tried the quiver with 4 sticks with a backpack on top? I hang on to my bow as I walk to my stand but this gets heavy after a few miles. Would like to free up my hand.

SplitG2

Re: lonewolf, stick quiver and bow backpack

Unread postby SplitG2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:59 pm

I'd be interested in seeing a setup like this as well.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Stick talons and bungee cords work for me. I have been taking a small pack pretty much season long...a little larger when I'm sitting dark to dark. Also strap my jacket and outer layer on it as needed.

I've done my bow, pack and outer layers once on a summit viper. Cold morning. Killed a buck the day before my buddies arrived to camp so I was alone...on top of the mountain behind camp. Right after I shot him it got warm FAST. Didn't wanna leave the buck...or my gear. Needed to at least get the buck to the shady bottom and didn't like leaving my gear because ATV trails are everywhere.

It worked. I regularly have at least a couple bungees on my stand. They come in handy. Strapped "critters of opportunity" like fox and turkey etc to my stand too to hike out. Typically do carry my bow though.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:42 pm

U know what's worse than a tired hand? Having the buck of a lifetime infront of ya with your bow strapped to your back. As soon as I enter woods a arrow gets put on the string, learned this lesson the hard way.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:53 am

Boogieman1 wrote:U know what's worse than a tired hand? Having the buck of a lifetime infront of ya with your bow strapped to your back. As soon as I enter woods a arrow gets put on the string, learned this lesson the hard way.

Agree. I would never strap my bow on my back. Things happen fast even walking in. Only time I could see doing it is walking in before daylight or after closing when you cannot legally hunt.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:04 am

Boogieman1 wrote:U know what's worse than a tired hand? Having the buck of a lifetime infront of ya with your bow strapped to your back. As soon as I enter woods a arrow gets put on the string, learned this lesson the hard way.

Yep missed out on a huge doe last year cause I didn't have an arrow nocked. Would have been even better if I shot it, a pass through would have put the arrow into a trucks bumper. Was that close to a parking lot.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:14 am

I have strapped my bow onto my pack and stand before. I was busting thru tall wet grass and cattails in the dark and needed both hands free. It worked well as long as I stayed in the grass. Get close to any type of brush and you are instantly getting your bow hung up on twigs and branches which is probably a good way to destroy your bow.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 am

No thanks, I don't want it making any noise and I feel it would. There is a chance that you could get a shot going in, though I don't feel walking around with an arrow nocked is a good idea either. It only takes a second to pull one out, I would keep it in the quiver until I need it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”