TN Monsters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

TN Monsters

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:15 am

With taking of the world record and now the death of this monarch that will gross well toward 250 i think its inevitable that the price of land may be going up.

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: TN Monsters

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:36 am

Wow :shock: Sounds like i need to start hunting Tennessee! 8-)
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:53 am

Is that O.G.?
Whoops sorry wrong forum :D ;)
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 am

Truthfully Boone and Crockett bucks like this are very very rare in most parts of the state.

Most Tn county's will never produce a deer like that.

West Tennessee has not had a boone and Crockett taken in several years the last one from Haywood county which is only private fields with no public.

Currently the best bucks are coming out of middle Tennessee. Stewart , Montgomery, Sumner Davidson county's hold our best bucks.

Our tags to hunt even for residents keep going to astronomical levels if our state gets popular our own locals won't be able to afford to hunt it. My resident this year was like 180.00 which is crazy. Giving Twra more reasons to be greedy won't be good overall for hunters.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:44 am

:shock: what a buck!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:42 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Truthfully Boone and Crockett bucks like this are very very rare in most parts of the state.

Most Tn county's will never produce a deer like that.

West Tennessee has not had a boone and Crockett taken in several years the last one from Haywood county which is only private fields with no public.

Currently the best bucks are coming out of middle Tennessee. Stewart , Montgomery, Sumner Davidson county's hold our best bucks.

Our tags to hunt even for residents keep going to astronomical levels if our state gets popular our own locals won't be able to afford to hunt it. My resident this year was like 180.00 which is crazy. Giving Twra more reasons to be greedy won't be good overall for hunters.

That's a bit ridiculous for a resident. They're going to turn a lot of people to hunting illegally if they continue on that path.
ky jack
Facebook: jack seppala

Unread postby ky jack » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:05 pm

That's a state line buck :D
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Resident liscense fees are outrageously expensive. I went ahead and bought a lifetime 3 years ago, I've still got 30 years of hunting ahead of me. I agree with tennhunter, a buck that nets 170 is unheard of in my circle.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:36 pm

When I went to Tennessee hog hunting my guide was an accomplished whitetail hunter. He had some nice bucks 140+ and he hunted public. All I know is he hunted eastern Tennessee. You guys have a beautiful state. I also whitetail hunted the western side on a private farm Benton county.My co worker parents owned and lived on a 200 acre farm. Awesome land. Wish I would of known then what I know now about deer hunting. That was in the early 2000s
Fins & Tines

Unread postby Fins & Tines » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:21 am

This is reflective of the MAJORITY of TN deer...the monsters are rare, but basket racks are a plenty.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:12 am

Tn, especially western tn, certainly has the capabilities to grow big deer. It's simply a matter of the bucks having the opportunity to get there. The reduction of the buck bag limit to two should certainly help, but there's still no antler regulations in place to my knowledge. Also a two month plus long gun season does no favors.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:44 am

thwack16 wrote:Tn, especially western tn, certainly has the capabilities to grow big deer. It's simply a matter of the bucks having the opportunity to get there. The reduction of the buck bag limit to two should certainly help, but there's still no antler regulations in place to my knowledge. Also a two month plus long gun season does no favors.

You're right. As a resident, however, I don't want to see any changes to the current regs. In my opinion, the reason for the increase in quality bucks recently is voluntary discretion on the part of the hunters who have the skill to do so. The buck limit debate has been a fiasco for years...
Not all those who wander are lost...
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:57 pm

One things for sure about Tennessee......I wish that state would let me bowhunt Cades Cove :D
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:07 am

There are real good bucks here. I just have to actually scout, hunt and use all the skill I got( not much at all) to find em and kill em. I have to actually be a deer hunter! :lol:
Tree_ghost

Unread postby Tree_ghost » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:03 am

While I agree that the quality of bucks is steadily improving I believe that there would have to be big changes to the regs in order for TN to consistently produce B&C bucks. I think that there is the genetic/habitat potential to grow some world class deer here but I'm doubtful we will ever reach that level of potential given our current circumstances. With that being said it only takes a few of these monarchs/record book deer to hit social media and before you know it there's out state license plates parked at every available patch of woods...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”