Scouting public

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bmoser77

Scouting public

Unread postby Bmoser77 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:31 am

I will be exploring a new public piece in the upcoming week and am wondering were to start. I have pulled up a map and have tried crossing off places where people go but am a little overwhelmed. Any tips or pointers on doing this step? It's really hard considering I haven't walked it yet. Also, what are some particularly ideal buck bedding spots I should keep an eye out for on google earth?

Hunt aggressively, not recklessly.
Bmoser77

Re: Scouting public

Unread postby Bmoser77 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:37 am

http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/upl ... rairie.pdf

The top right area of the map is where I will be scouting. The yellow boundary north of the Hannibal waterman area. Not sure how to upload pictures so this is the best I can do.
Hunt aggressively, not recklessly.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:37 am

It seems to save me alot of time if i look at arial views and try and find the thick areas. Areas where its thixker than the open hardwoods. Those areas combined with a nice leeward terrain feature. (points, benches) will get you very close to bedding.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:41 am

Look for areas where terrain or habitat changes. Deer will live near those edges.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:Look for areas where terrain or habitat changes. Deer will live near those edges.

X2. Find an area where there's a variety of transitions within cover and topography. Deer like water sources too. Start small and expand. With time you'll cover more ground and be able to narrow things down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”