Keeping the bucks in the area

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MikePerry

Re: Keeping the bucks in the area

Unread postby MikePerry » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:48 pm

I do not view baiting any different than planting a food plot or hunting the edge of a crop field, I don't bait nor do I have any problem with it, that being said if I were allowed to bait in PA and I was hunting PA public land I'd have zero chance to consistently kill mature bucks over a bait pile or on the edge of a crop field. The reason is pressure, your hunting public land in New England and you will be better served to find areas that are not being pressured find the bedding areas well in advance of the season find the first best food close to those beds such as acorns apples browse whatever it is and then stay out till your ready to hunt. If I were hunting early season I'd key in on buck bedding and for the rut doe bedding works best for me.

If you want to use bait before the season use it for inventory of deer well away from where you plan on hunting, but remember every time you go to throw bait or check cameras your leaving scent and causing pressure in that area, hunt the deer on your terms, tipping g them off to your presents is hunting deer on their terms.

Persistence pays!!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:37 pm

What part of new england?
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:42 am

Bait piles are helpful for inventory or very cold late season hunting. Other than that, id leave the bait in the garage
BowHunter33

Unread postby BowHunter33 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:18 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:What part of new england?

In Worcester, MA area.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 pm

BowHunter33 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:What part of new england?

In Worcester, MA area.

MA is primarily going to be a pre-rut/rut based state since season does not open until the 3rd week of Oct. Everything you get on cams now may/will completely change by that point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”