Another good W2H podcast - how to get it done on Iowa public

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MikePerry

Re: Another good W2H podcast - how to get it done on Iowa public

Unread postby MikePerry » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Great podcast Aaron

Persistence pays!!!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
tbunao wrote:Good podcast per usual Mark and Arron.

Funny thing about the cams monitoring people, smoothing out the dirt and such.

I was walking out on an access trail last year and came across a few turkey scratches on it. One of them was right under a nice looking tree. I decided to experiment.
I made it into a scrape and just to see if a real hunter would catch on I made the licking branch about 5.5ft up. This post season while going back in that area I cruised by. 30 yards off the trail on the only straight tree, climber marks. Kind of a crappy move on my part but I just wanted to see but I just may have kept that guy from meandering back into a real good area.

I did set up a cam over a pretty close to access scrape and I definitely had the most hunters ever on one cam as well as several bucks late at night.

That is kinda funny.

It does amaze me that so many people just walk right down a heavy trail. Doesn't matter where I am going just seems natural to hang to one side of trails - deer, man, whatever. I thought keeping footprints was kinda a given...don't leave them in obvious spots or directions that sort of thing. That nice open raked patch of sand I sure am not stepping in but it is amazing how many guys do :lol:

I have also figured out the tracks of a few other hard core public hunters in the area...for instance one guy does a lot of scouting after work in two areas I also hunt, wearing his work boots worn heavy on the outside edge, must be a little bow legged, about size 12.

There are so many cameras in the woods these days and Aaron's far from the only one that sets up cameras watching other hunters. Where ever they are most of the time I can spot them first, sure I miss some...if I was a dishonest person pretty sure I could lift 6-10 cams a day in the fall, day after day, until I ran out of public land to walk around here. Sometimes I skirt them sometimes I intentionally cross in front of them heading a goofy direction wondering how long they will wonder what I was doing. All fun and games :lol:

I've left a fair amount of nude pics. Nothing like a naked dude working a scrape.

I have limits public nudity doesn't really get me excited :lol:
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:46 am

JoeRE wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
JoeRE wrote:

I was walking out on an access trail last year and came across a few turkey scratches on it. One of them was right under a nice looking tree. I decided to experiment.
I made it into a scrape and just to see if a real hunter would catch on I made the licking branch about 5.5ft up. This post season while going back in that area I cruised by. 30 yards off the trail on the only straight tree, climber marks. Kind of a crappy move on my part but I just wanted to see but I just may have kept that guy from meandering back into a real good area.

I did set up a cam over a pretty close to access scrape and I definitely had the most hunters ever on one cam as well as several bucks late at night.

That is kinda funny.

It does amaze me that so many people just walk right down a heavy trail. Doesn't matter where I am going just seems natural to hang to one side of trails - deer, man, whatever. I thought keeping footprints was kinda a given...don't leave them in obvious spots or directions that sort of thing. That nice open raked patch of sand I sure am not stepping in but it is amazing how many guys do :lol:

I have also figured out the tracks of a few other hard core public hunters in the area...for instance one guy does a lot of scouting after work in two areas I also hunt, wearing his work boots worn heavy on the outside edge, must be a little bow legged, about size 12.

There are so many cameras in the woods these days and Aaron's far from the only one that sets up cameras watching other hunters. Where ever they are most of the time I can spot them first, sure I miss some...if I was a dishonest person pretty sure I could lift 6-10 cams a day in the fall, day after day, until I ran out of public land to walk around here. Sometimes I skirt them sometimes I intentionally cross in front of them heading a goofy direction wondering how long they will wonder what I was doing. All fun and games :lol:

I've left a fair amount of nude pics. Nothing like a naked dude working a scrape.

:lol:

Idk about full nudity but they always get a full moon. A camo eclipse
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:50 am

tbunao wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
JoeRE wrote:

That is kinda funny.

TMI boys, TMI...I guess when I'm in Wisconsin I'll know if I'm in BassBoys area eh Shawn? Body looks to be fully mature, head gear is on the decline :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:32 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
tbunao wrote:
JoeRE wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
JoeRE wrote:

That is kinda funny.

TMI boys, TMI...I guess when I'm in Wisconsin I'll know if I'm in BassBoys area eh Shawn? Body looks to be fully mature, head gear is on the decline :lol:

Time for some manscaping! :o
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 am

I want to get one of those creepy clown masks to put in my scouting backpack. Keep the entertainment value high.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:40 am

BassBoysLLP wrote::lol:

I want to get one of those creepy clown masks to put in my scouting backpack. Keep the entertainment value high.

I predict a huge increase of clown sightings after the "IT" remake comes out next month. :lol:

OK........time to get back on topic. :shifty:
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Aaron, not sure if you'll read this but wanted to toss this out there if you do. In the podcast you mention scouting the buck nest this spring and finding a setup in a small tree that would be nearly impossible to do with a camera man. I think it would be awesome to setup the camera man on the edge overlooking the buck nest then film the hunters entry, setup, and hunt remote. Can have a pov cam with the hunter to catch what you can. I feel this will show the difficulty and effort put forth to setup on beds and you'd still probably get great footage. I'd love to see this pulled off!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:13 am

Awesome Podcast and Awesome guest. I love how the Midwest Whitetail public land guys use beast tactics. The Buck nest is crazy!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”