Walking the transition

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CHMJ0914

Walking the transition

Unread postby CHMJ0914 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:21 am

When walking a transition in the marsh looking for sign to hang your stand, how far off the transition are you walking? 10 yards? 20 yards?

Use your reason, but trust in god.
hunter10
500 Club

Re: Walking the transition

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:25 am

Walk where the activity, trails and sign tell you. Hanging a stand is based on this. All transitions aren't straight so if you walked 20 yds off the transition the entire walk, you would miss out on many things
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:15 am

I walk a little further off the transition line(20-40 yards) and when I cut a trail coming from the thicker cover I look for big tracks. If there aren't big tracks I keep moving. If there are big tracks I'll walk the trail towards the cover to investigate further. I like to follow big tracks to where I start seeing browsing evidence and big scat. Then I set up, this lets me know this buck comes to this point and spends a little bit of time, mostly likely waiting for darkness before moving further.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:50 am

Redman232 wrote:I walk a little further off the transition line(20-40 yards) and when I cut a trail coming from the thicker cover I look for big tracks. If there aren't big tracks I keep moving. If there are big tracks I'll walk the trail towards the cover to investigate further. I like to follow big tracks to where I start seeing browsing evidence and big scat. Then I set up, this lets me know this buck comes to this point and spends a little bit of time, mostly likely waiting for darkness before moving further.

Awesome post right here!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:59 am

Redman232 wrote:I walk a little further off the transition line(20-40 yards) and when I cut a trail coming from the thicker cover I look for big tracks. If there aren't big tracks I keep moving. If there are big tracks I'll walk the trail towards the cover to investigate further. I like to follow big tracks to where I start seeing browsing evidence and big scat. Then I set up, this lets me know this buck comes to this point and spends a little bit of time, mostly likely waiting for darkness before moving further.

That's a great quote! It falls right in line with the Dan's saying, "Big sign, don't lie"!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:24 am

A lot of times where I am at, there is not a hard transition line to follow. So my transition line is the place where bucks move in daylight meets the place bucks don't move in daylight. When in-season scouting and placing cams, I try to stay in the non-daylight movement areas. Its easy to imagine a nice perfect transition line but in most areas it does not exist. Instead there are lots of mini transition lines and many very gradual transition lines. I obviously want to stay on the part that doesnt have any bucks bedding in it. That's the way I think of it at least.

You can also find hot sign in some very obscure places that are not even near a transition that has to do with bedding. Its pretty much all night sign but if you find a smoking hot scrape out in the middle of a 100 acre field with one tree in the middle of it, at least you have a starting point and you can start to study the terrain around you and start making some educated guesses.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”