Rolling Hill, Agriculture , Cedar thickets, Lakes and CRP

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MattyJ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/matthew.johnson.7798

Rolling Hill, Agriculture , Cedar thickets, Lakes and CRP

Unread postby MattyJ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 am

I am very new to this style of hunting. I have done a lot of scouting during shed season but never with the primary focus on beds. I hunt in the flint hills in north central Kansas. The areas I hunt are primary around lakes/ ponds. There are rolling hills, pockets of cedars, agriculture fields tons of crp. Is there any good threads or videos on finding bedding in locations like this? I looked through the tactical threads and found some stuff. Below is a picture of a piece that illustrates what I am talking about. Rolling hills, Not huge elevation changes, cedars, agg and oaks spread out. In that lower area (cedars and oaks) when it does open up their is thick under growth almost like bushes. its nearly impossible to walk through it. No visible trails. It doesn't seem like good bedding because its impossible to walk through. It seems like the deer avoid it. I know for a fact that their is a big buck living somewhere in the area because in the early season the last 2 years I have got him on trail camera. He is old public land buck. Seems to be crazy smart and hard to pin down. Dan has talked about how if their isnt a lot of competition their may not be a lot of sign (rubs and scrapes). In this area there is virtually no competition. A good amount of does and only a few small bucks during the rut. Transition lines in cover type might be my best bet but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also included a topo/sat hybrid for reference (the "road" through the lower section does not exist anymore. It must be an old sat image).

Last edited by MattyJ on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Rolling Hill, Agriculture , Cedar thickets, Lakes and CRP

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am

I took the liberty to white out the road names.......you might want to delete the second image of your post.
MattyJ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/matthew.johnson.7798

Unread postby MattyJ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:09 am

Thanks man!!! These are things I have to learn...
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:37 am

Corps ground can be fun and challenging. Of course the boundaries can lead to some frustration in staying in the game sometimes.
You mention early season sightings. Hopefully he sticks around during the rut, but a lack of does or just their nature he may be gone then.
They don't always put down a bunch of sign as in rubs or scrapes. Cameras and being able to identify his track would be very helpful.
Observing beans in the evening if you can may give you a sight of him and go from there. You got some great transitions / pinchpoints.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:50 am

I believe you could adapt what is found on all 3 currently available DVD bedding chapters. Found in the HB store. A Farm Country one is in the works. Main thing is to find areas not getting pressure from all types of hunting. Places no one else is going.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:43 am

What u consider to thick and nasty might be called preferred bedding once old man winter comes through. Also action towards the lake always seems better in the eve for me. Search the transitions between hardwoods and cedars for sign. Then relate that to food/bed and the terrain that connects them.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”