Southern Maps-Could Use some Help Cyberscouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keepthefevercalls

Southern Maps-Could Use some Help Cyberscouting

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:16 am

So we are a couple of weeks out from moving down South..and probably at least a month out from me being able to put boots on the ground. I have hunted both of these properties but not extensively..only turkey hunted and only once or twice each piece. The first property is public land off of a lake. This is a big chunk that I killed a gobbler on this year. I have only hunted one southern finger. It consists of small hardwood ridges, looks really good. We saw rubs, tracks etc. I don't think it get's much pressure once you get in deep. We accessed the southern half by boat. The northern half can be accessed by a road that turns into a hiking trail. I am curious how they will bed. Do you guys think they will take advantage of the tips of the ridge fingers over the lake and bed on those? I am used to deer hunting mountains close to 2000 feet in elevation, so this is new to me.

The second chunk of maps is a small piece of a huge section of Public Forest Land. It was hit hard during turkey season but once we got in a little deeper we didn't see anyone. The river bottoms are nasty. One stream turns into having to cross like 5 or 6 times in sections and it can get deep fast. Lots and lots of pig sign, they tear stuff up! I have no idea how deer relate to hogs. Here we found good buck sign down in the river bottom, as well as on the ridges. LOTS AND LOTS of acorns, it was incredible. They did a huge prescribed burn here too back in Late Feb/Early March.

Last year here in PA I was able to see deer almost every sit by picking a spot 1/3 of the way down with the right wind and sitting in the thermal tunnel. With these small ridges I am thinking the deer will not be forced so much by terrain to move?
Could use any help I can get. This year most of my hunts may just be scouts with my gun.
Thanks!
Mike

Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Southern Maps-Could Use some Help Cyberscouting

Unread postby freezeAR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 am

I would primarily look at the small spurs off the ridges in the first map. Deer need cover and an escape route to (among other things) to bed in a spot. Figure out the prevailing wind and key in on the spots that would give the bucks the advantage they require.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”