Best way to keep track of beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

E72
500 Club

Re: Best way to keep track of beds

Unread postby E72 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 am

Dewey wrote:GPS, Garmin BaseCamp, Google Earth, Antler Insanity App, Scoutlook App and handwritten notes. I should have them all in one place but seems to work just fine for me. I don't rely on memory anymore. My little hard drive has been maxed out for years. :lol:

X2 ! :lol:

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:29 am

I have a binder with all my hunting locations, when to hunt them, what winds to hunt them, do I need climber, sticks etc, it is very helpful the night before a hunt when I check the next days weather for wind. I look into my book and look at my colour coded wind directions. Can then easily pick a couple spots based on wind and time of season
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:34 am

hunter10 wrote:I have a binder with all my hunting locations, when to hunt them, what winds to hunt them, do I need climber, sticks etc, it is very helpful the night before a hunt when I check the next days weather for wind. I look into my book and look at my colour coded wind directions. Can then easily pick a couple spots based on wind and time of season

I like the color coding. So simple yet I never thought of it. :doh:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:49 am

Dewey wrote:
hunter10 wrote:I have a binder with all my hunting locations, when to hunt them, what winds to hunt them, do I need climber, sticks etc, it is very helpful the night before a hunt when I check the next days weather for wind. I look into my book and look at my colour coded wind directions. Can then easily pick a couple spots based on wind and time of season

Great idea!
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:07 am

Dewey wrote:

I don't remember exactly from last year but I think I had around 40 trees, stands, beds etc to hunt for the season. If there were only say 8 west wind spots then I sure saved myself a lot of time scanning through my notes
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:12 am

hunter10 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I don't remember exactly from last year but I think I had around 40 trees, stands, beds etc to hunt for the season. If there were only say 8 west wind spots then I sure saved myself a lot of time scanning through my notes

Great idea!!! I'm color coding my spots right now!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:28 am

I do color code wind direction when I mark beds on Google earth.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:29 am

stash59 wrote:I do color code wind direction when I mark beds on Google earth.

I don't but will be now.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:35 am

Dewey wrote:

I don't but will be now.

I use the hotel symbol, it's a bed. Because it's red you have to pick a different color that will actually show up good.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:47 am

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I don't but will be now.

I use the hotel symbol, it's a bed. Because it's red you have to pick a different color that will actually show up good.

Good idea. Most of my icons are just pins but are labeled bed. The bed icon stands out much better especially when color coded for winds.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:35 am

Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I don't but will be now.

Good idea. Most of my icons are just pins but are labeled bed. The bed icon stands out much better especially when color coded for winds.

Yeah I don't like leaving the labels visible on the aerial. It gets too cluttered for me. I place all deer sign in a separate folder. It includes beds, rubs scrapes, even locations of larger than average tracks found. Along with bigger poops. I use a balloon marker for rubs and use one with the number that corresponds to the age class of buck that made it. Based on Dan's rub heights theory.

Use separate folders for stands, areas I'd like to scout. Even one with all of the WDNR lands I'm interested in. A separate one for WPA's. So it's easier and faster to find them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”