Hunting early whitetail season in the morning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chuck-2725

Hunting early whitetail season in the morning

Unread postby Chuck-2725 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Since I'm a college student in Ohio I'm forced to hunt early season during the morning instead of the proffered evening hunts. I'm now asking you guys what tactics and how I need to approach these morning hunts in the early season of whitetails.

robert richer

Re: Hunting early whitetail season in the morning

Unread postby robert richer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Somewhat difficult to hunt early in morning....need to be in stand quite early before sunrise.

Hunt water sources and plan on doe management....
RJR-007
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Stick to the woods. Access to your stand is critical in the am. Most of the deer seem to be in the fields in the early morning hours working their way back to bed. I try to stay as far away from fields as I can when I access for a morning hunt. The general areas I hunt are roughly 60% fields/40% woods. I'm sure access is a bit trickier in some of the southern ohio hill country where there is more woods and deer are spending more time feeding in the woods
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Brickhouse wrote:Stick to the woods. Access to your stand is critical in the am. Most of the deer seem to be in the fields in the early morning hours working their way back to bed. I try to stay as far away from fields as I can when I access for a morning hunt. The general areas I hunt are roughly 60% fields/40% woods. I'm sure access is a bit trickier in some of the southern ohio hill country where there is more woods and deer are spending more time feeding in the woods

Great tips!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Mornings are a great time to be out. Often times spots where you can see a ton of area (observation sits) are also easy to get to in the dark. Any time spent out there is not wasted. Maybe consider ditching the tree stand a few mornings and just doing some walking, glassing and looking for areas of hot sign.

I would think of these mornings you get to spend out in the woods as a great opportunity to scout more than you hunt. In-season scouting is a great path to success. Scout until you feel like you have something figured out to the point you are confident you can make a hunt out of it and kill something. Good luck!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:53 pm

hunter_mike wrote:Mornings are a great time to be out. Often times spots where you can see a ton of area (observation sits) are also easy to get to in the dark. Any time spent out there is not wasted. Maybe consider ditching the tree stand a few mornings and just doing some walking, glassing and looking for areas of hot sign.

I would think of these mornings you get to spend out in the woods as a great opportunity to scout more than you hunt. In-season scouting is a great path to success. Scout until you feel like you have something figured out to the point you are confident you can make a hunt out of it and kill something. Good luck!

This is my plan this year. I have typically avoided mornings early in the season. This year I'm going to try to observe a buck coming back to bed, to set-up a great evening bed sit! I have a few areas this should work for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:45 pm

In the early season my mature bucks tend to bed in places different from where the bed in the rut for this reason u might as well take a educated crack at it. Wouldn't suggest just barging in opening morning just for the heck of it, have enough intell so u know if morning gives u your best chance. I feel u only get one true surprise crack at a mature buck and if u blow it by just being impatient and hoping for a miracle chances are he will be on to u, then it gets a lot more challenging IMO!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:33 pm

I would agree with others on spending time scouting. Pick your battles for later towards the rut in the morning. If there is one scenario I wouldn't pass up early season, it would be a high pressure system rolling in around daybreak and setting up on an oak flat near bedding when the acorns start falling. These days hold the most morning movement early season for me. One of the few things I've seen mature bucks stay out of their beds later for in early season.

Brickhouse wrote:Stick to the woods. Access to your stand is critical in the am. Most of the deer seem to be in the fields in the early morning hours working their way back to bed. I try to stay as far away from fields as I can when I access for a morning hunt. The general areas I hunt are roughly 60% fields/40% woods. I'm sure access is a bit trickier in some of the southern ohio hill country where there is more woods and deer are spending more time feeding in the woods

Couldn't agree more with this where I'm at. Good post brick!
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Where I hunt mature bucks are bedded before daylight. ...
So I just sleep in

Bwahaha :mrgreen: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35397&hilit=Andrae+morning+hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”