WHS: Morning Thermals & Stand Placement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigb
500 Club

Re: WHS: Morning Thermals & Stand Placement

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:39 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:
tbunao wrote:I've been meaning to post jeffs other video and I think it will tie into this thread.

https://youtu.be/Lum66f-2aMM

Really goes into detail about the weather patterns.

Can anybody explain how to do this. I've read his article on this and I still don't get how he calculates a value for the day. I understand the basic points about weather changes, wind speed changes, etc but I am just confused on how to go about calculating a value based on his formula. I guess maybe I'd need to see an example. I really am confused by his first point on Calm Days before the front/Poor value days. The second point about the temp change is he referring to Max daily temps, average temps and in how big of a time frame. Number 3, 4, 5 and 7 are easy and need no explanation for me. As far as point #6 what value is he multiplying here? Sorry if I'm making this too hard but I just haven't been able to grasp his idea. Furthermore is the max value 10? He talks in the video about have a 9 or 10 day and being really good so I didn't know if that was the max you could get.

I think your making it a bit too hard. He's got another video on youtube that us about 30 minutes long where someone did a podcast for this. It was basically look for the big temp drops after a rain/snow front goes through. The longer the rain/snow was the better the following two days. Those are the two most important things to look for. I would start using a "value" this early and make it an exact formula.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:48 am

backstraps wrote:I absolutely agree with you Dave especially on the beds moving

However, Im usually hunting late Sept in the low 80s and a cool front in the am early Oct can be dynamite!! 10-15 degree change can be daylight to dark difference in daylight buck movement

So it doesn’t take 30 degree weather and im sure you were teasing there. Hahaha it would be December before id see 30s too most likely

I agree bucks love a drop in temps. They as also love a rising barometer. my point was they are still out there and killable at the other times.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
backstraps wrote:I absolutely agree with you Dave especially on the beds moving

However, Im usually hunting late Sept in the low 80s and a cool front in the am early Oct can be dynamite!! 10-15 degree change can be daylight to dark difference in daylight buck movement

So it doesn’t take 30 degree weather and im sure you were teasing there. Hahaha it would be December before id see 30s too most likely

I agree bucks love a drop in temps. They as also love a rising barometer. my point was they are still out there and killable at the other times.

I gotcha!! I agree, I'm out there from day one to closing if at all possible!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”