Night bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CHMJ0914

Night bedding

Unread postby CHMJ0914 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 am

The other day while setting up trail cameras along a field edge, I walked by 6 or 7 beds that were right on the field edge. This field is public land, no crops are planted just native grasses. I'm guessing they were night beds because of the lack of cover, but I could be wrong. Anybody have the same observations?

Use your reason, but trust in god.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Night bedding

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:24 am

I have found a bed that seems like what you described. A good question to ask is what wind did they bed with. Finding the ' why' is how these guys end up killing big bucks regularly.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:26 am

I have found a bed that seems like what you described. A good question to ask is what wind did they bed with. Finding the ' why' is how these guys end up killing big bucks regularly.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:52 am

Yes in most cases that would be considered night bedding. A lot of times it may just be somewhere to relax and digest food. However, I have seen a buck lay down while staging in the mornings before entering a bedding area (hill country). Almost as if he was just waiting for a little wind or grey light. People underestimate a bucks willingness to stage in the dark. Also, during velvet months I have seen bucks lay on CRP field edges during the day, right in the shade that overhangs from the canopy. It can be a cool temp area.

In relation to your story, id guess that was a pile of does due to the amount of beds. Recently, I watched a doe group one evening during an observation sit. They emerged from the woods entering a CRP field, as this was happening coyotes started howling very close by. The does crossed the field quickly and quietly w the fawns. The next day I walked back to where they traveled, only to find 5-6 beds right on that field edge. The edge was upwind of year round buck bedding. So I assume they walked across the field and laid down w some type of sight/wind advantage to wait out the coyotes.

So even though we dont hang our hats on night bedding, that doesnt mean they are useless just sometimes it will take longer to understand why or what. The coyote and does experience opened my eyes to the fact that night beds could be lock down beds to hide from predators for a short period of time as well. I have found buck bedding in the off season, then found a giant night bed in between feeding and bedding - laid right on an access trail! The only reason I guessed buck was due to the solo bed between destinations & size/length.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”