Any dedicated public land podcasts out there?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brickhouse

Re: Any dedicated public land podcasts out there?

Unread postby Brickhouse » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:13 am

I don't believe it was public land, but the other night I listened to episode 182 (Craig Meyer) of the big buck registry podcast. He talked about incorporating a mountain bike into his gameplan. I found it pretty interesting as far as different tactics go.

Also their podcast with Barry Wensel is great as far as deer behavior goes. Definitely worth a listen

bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 am

W2H and Nine fingers are my favorite but I do have a bunch of others i listen to. I try and take something from everything i watch or listen to.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:53 am

Brickhouse wrote:I don't believe it was public land, but the other night I listened to episode 182 (Craig Meyer) of the big buck registry podcast. He talked about incorporating a mountain bike into his gameplan. I found it pretty interesting as far as different tactics go.

Also their podcast with Barry Wensel is great as far as deer behavior goes. Definitely worth a listen

I bought the Wensels' book after listening to that podcast. Definitely a good one. They were ahead of their time.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:59 am

stash59 wrote:This one is a little different.

http://huntharvesthealth.com/

From the Stheallthy Hunter website. I'm just starting this one. Deals mainly with western hunting, but also delves into health and nutrition/healthy eating. Even marriage advise for the hardcore hunter that has a non-hunting spouse. It's a mix of mountain backcountry hunting stories/experiences and how to stay healthy enough to keep doing them. With some gardening mixed in.

I'm personally interested in the health stuff because of my Chronic Lyme and my age (58). But even you young whippersnappers should look into this stuff. You'll have less aches and pains as you go. Also be able to hit things harder and longer. Especially if your planning out of state hunts.

This is something I struggle with. Jack's biscuit n gravy just sounds so good though. Lol
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 am

Divergent wrote:
Brickhouse wrote:I don't believe it was public land, but the other night I listened to episode 182 (Craig Meyer) of the big buck registry podcast. He talked about incorporating a mountain bike into his gameplan. I found it pretty interesting as far as different tactics go.

I bought the Wensels' book after listening to that podcast. Definitely a good one. They were ahead of their time.

Yeah I'm actually surprised how spring scouting. Is such a new concept for so many new Beast members. Even looking back to those who joined before me.

The Wensels, Roger Rothaare, Bob Fratzke, Greg Miller and Myles Keller all used intense spring scouting to learn mature buck habits. They didn't hone in on exact beds. But had an idea where buck bedding and doe bedding areas were.

My seasons with the best mature buck encounters all came after spring scouting sessions. Back in the late '80's. Then I moved to Montana and spent all my free time learning about elk.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 am

Divergent wrote:
stash59 wrote:This one is a little different.

http://huntharvesthealth.com/

From the Stheallthy Hunter website. I'm just starting this one. Deals mainly with western hunting, but also delves into health and nutrition/healthy eating. Even marriage advise for the hardcore hunter that has a non-hunting spouse. It's a mix of mountain backcountry hunting stories/experiences and how to stay healthy enough to keep doing them. With some gardening mixed in.

I'm personally interested in the health stuff because of my Chronic Lyme and my age (58). But even you young whippersnappers should look into this stuff. You'll have less aches and pains as you go. Also be able to hit things harder and longer. Especially if your planning out of state hunts.

This is something I struggle with. Jack's biscuit n gravy just sounds so good though. Lol

I here ya. I'm a true cheesehead. Ask me to go for a beer or for ice cream. I want ice cream. :doh: :lol:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 pm

stash59 wrote:
Divergent wrote:

Yeah I'm actually surprised how spring scouting. Is such a new concept for so many new Beast members. Even looking back to those who joined before me.

The Wensels, Roger Rothaare, Bob Fratzke, Greg Miller and Myles Keller all used intense spring scouting to learn mature buck habits. They didn't hone in on exact beds. But had an idea where buck bedding and doe bedding areas were.

My seasons with the best mature buck encounters all came after spring scouting sessions. Back in the late '80's. Then I moved to Montana and spent all my free time learning about elk.

I've listened to all of the true trophy killing masters tell their secrets. They all had one common theme...post season scouting and woodsmanship. Supposedly it takes 10,000 hours to become a master at something. These guys seemingly put in their time.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 pm

W2H and NFC for me. I really enjoy listening to dan and mark with all the different guests they have on. I just listened to a couple of the white knuckle ones today after seeing some posts about them and the're seem to be a few other ones that i need to start listening to.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:50 am

ol_ben wrote:
JakeB wrote:Check out tbwpodcast.com it's mostly about traditional bow hunting but he's got some good stuff in there and real easy to listen too

Is that the trad podcast that had Dan on once several times?

Edit: Remembered it was more than once.

Yea Dan was on it a time or 2. One of my favorite podcast.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:53 pm

I listen to probably over 20 podcasts, but as far as public land goes, the twbpodcast is my favorite. Jason is a die hard diy public land hunter. He's also a member here and has given Dan and this forum many props.

Emrah
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Nelson87 wrote:The white knuckle podcast recently had a four part series on public land in which Jason gave three people maps of a public piece. The first three podcasts are each persons breakdown of the piece, what they like and dislike about the piece, and kind of their overall strategy and what they look for going onto a public piece in general. Then on the fourth podcast they all get together and discuss the whole thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 part series. It was interesting to hear how they each broke it down. Thanks for telling me about them.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Divergent wrote:
Nelson87 wrote:The white knuckle podcast recently had a four part series on public land in which Jason gave three people maps of a public piece. The first three podcasts are each persons breakdown of the piece, what they like and dislike about the piece, and kind of their overall strategy and what they look for going onto a public piece in general. Then on the fourth podcast they all get together and discuss the whole thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 part series. It was interesting to hear how they each broke it down. Thanks for telling me about them.

I listened to them all today. I think it would be neat if we could get some of the guys on here to break down an area. It would be interesting to see the differences from someone that is more of a beginner and someone that has been doing this a long time to see how each of them would look at the map.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Divergent wrote:

No problem, I really enjoyed them and thought others might as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”