Swamps/ cut off's

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike32
500 Club

Swamps/ cut off's

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:43 am

I don't have many swamp areas available to hunt. So my question is could I use alot if the same idea's and tactics to hunt these cut off's. Like I would if they were swamp's? Or does anyone have some things to share on how to go about hunting this type?

Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
stash59

Re: Swamps/ cut off's

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:24 am

By cut offs, are you talking clearcuts/timber harvests?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:17 am

Are you meaning cut overs?
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:39 am

Yes, clear cuts
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 am

I am far f on a pro. Take what I say with a grain of salt. Lol. No. Seriously. Lots of these guys know far more than I do!

I find the swamp/Marsh type hunting is often applicable to clear cuts and CRP type fields.

Transitions, islands, and lone trees or small clumps of trees..points of transitions are huge for bedding. I guess that's more so in CRP type stuff but find a hardwood edge that points out into a clear cut. I'd bet there's at least a scrape there if not a buck bed.

The old trails the loggers used often end up to be deer highways....but at the same time it's a hunter highway too for anyone venturing in.

Others will have better input I'm sure...but if you're thinking about the crossover relationship between swamps/marshes and clear cuts...I agree there tends to be similarities.
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:49 pm

How good a cut will be depends on how long since they've been cut, whether they were selective or clear cut, hunting pressure in or around them, whether there are mast trees or conifers, the list goes on
a useful scouting tool can be to pull up google earth and flip back thru the timeline and see if you can pick out clues... any wetland strips, points, inside corners etc that have been left uncut in or around the cut become very apparent on the aerial of the fresh cut. These will continue to act as edges as the cut grows back around them and they eventually disappear on newer aerials. Likewise, the logging roads may stand out and can become travel corridors in thicker cuts. They often follow little benches that bucks would normally cruise anyway. If youre good with tech you can use the aerials to lay out specific areas of interest to focus on when your boots hit the ground. maximize your scouting time.
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”