Oak Island Timing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Net Guy
500 Club

Oak Island Timing

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Everyone,

Curious how everyone hunts oak islands that are within thick bedding areas like Tamarack swamps but are not too far from agriculture fields? Buddy and I just found some oak islands in northern WI this past weekend, but they aren't too far from some agriculture fields with corn and beans. These islands are surrounded by thick swamps which make accessing these islands extremely difficult. My question is if the oak trees are dropping, will the bucks visit these islands first before heading to the agriculture fields? Or do you think they visit the ag fields first until they get pressured further back into the swamp?

Baby number 3 is due within a month, so time is obviously limited. Just trying to figure out the best times to hunt these islands. Unfortunately, we don't know where all the bedding is, so that makes it tougher. The islands are also full of large rubs suggesting rut could be good too. Thanks for your help!

BigStick

Re: Oak Island Timing

Unread postby BigStick » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:18 am

Where is the bedding in relation to the oak islands and ag fields? If it is closer to the islands I would assume they would stage on the island and browse before moving to the ag fields. In the area I hunt the deer love acorns when they get them, but we really don't have as many oaks as some places. It might be best to shine the ag fields, that will give you an idea of what time they are going there and from there you should be able to get a better idea of their preference or direction of travel from the beds. Everything will change with pressure and based on available food sources.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:31 am

There is just no way to know the timing without scouting or hunting/scouting these areas. It can even be different from year to year and buck to buck. Sometimes you just have to dive in to find the info you are looking for, every bed, buck and food source is different and not much we can say is anything other than a guess until you put the boots to the ground or scout/observe/camera the pattern.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 am

Swamps are alot like marshes. Here's a good video on marsh islands. He mentions oaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h38mk1ozgc
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 am

Lone oak trees especially white oaks can be hot on islands early in the season. Many times bucks bed off the edges or brushy points of the island and then stage feeding at the oak tree before heading to the mainland after dark. The more remote the islands are the better your chances are of it being a mature buck. Easier access spots typically hold younger bucks and antlerless deer. The only exception would be opening weekend when mature bucks haven't had any hunting pressure yet. Obviously it gets much harder after that.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 am

headgear wrote:There is just no way to know the timing without scouting or hunting/scouting these areas. It can even be different from year to year and buck to buck. Sometimes you just have to dive in to find the info you are looking for, every bed, buck and food source is different and not much we can say is anything other than a guess until you put the boots to the ground or scout/observe/camera the pattern.

^X2

My best blind guess is they may be staging there before the ag??? I think you give it one per month. Sept, Oct, Nov & Dec. Each hunt you check the sign, and see how fresh it looks. That should give you a pretty good idea when it's being the most active. If time is very limited, take turns with your buddy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks for the responses. The confirmed bedding is closer to the oak islands than the ag fields. If I were to guess, I think they will stage on the oak islands prior/right at dark then make their way to the ag fields. As pressure builds, I think these oak islands will be even better.

Another question, maybe dumb, but related to the rut. Do bucks really care what the terrain is like when they are chasing? The reason I ask is that the swamps around the islands are very difficult to navigate. So I'm wondering if the bucks will try to push the does to the remote islands so their chasing is easier? I'm sure it is not easy for them to run in these swamps either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”