Water Thermals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Go Rusty

Water Thermals

Unread postby Go Rusty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:16 am

So I was trying to get in a little mobile stand practice and had a little swamp not far from the road so I figured I would do an observational sit till dark. I walked out onto a small peninsula running north south with the swamp to the east. Wind was out of the south at around 5 mph so I figured it was perfect. The peninsula had a fairly steep crest in the center and I pictured it as almost exactly like the example in Swamp Bedding where Mario got winded on the island. I set up about 5 yds from the edge of the wetland and checked the wind regularly with milkweed. As soon as the sun went behind the hills, the wind went almost calm with occasional slight gusts. I remember Dan talking about water thermals but was really amazed at how strong the thermals were coming off that peninsula toward the swamp, and they got stronger the later it got. I realized that my scent was being sprayed across a 90 degree angle between north and east every time the wind picked up then died away. I didn't see anything moving that night but the experience was invaluable.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Water Thermals

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:18 am

Great observation. 8-)
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Water Thermals

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:52 pm

This is one of the MANY MANY new things I've learned after finding this sight!

It's amazing how clueless I really was.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”