What do you learn from seeing bucks you wouldn't shoot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

Re: What do you learn from seeing bucks you wouldn't shoot?

Unread postby jbone23 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:05 am

Two instances come to mind but they were bucks I wanted to shoot but was too thick to shoot. One how extremely slow they move and how they choose the thickest cover possible to get from A to B. At least in flat land situations.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Can't reply on just bucks, most of them die in front of me, but deer in general, I could add something too...
You know, if you want me to?

Sure thing....
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 am

I have seen mature bucks traveling with younger bucks often enough that when I see a target Buck with a smaller buck I memorize the characteristics of the smaller buck so I will know to look for the mature buck when I see him.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:43 pm

Jdw wrote:I have seen mature bucks traveling with younger bucks often enough that when I see a target Buck with a smaller buck I memorize the characteristics of the smaller buck so I will know to look for the mature buck when I see him.

Exactly. I have learned to pay attention to those younger bucks. Quite often they are bedding in satellite beds around mature buck primary beds. I believe mature bucks use them as a scout so to speak letting them get up and move first while they stay bedded and monitor the danger. I have seen this so many times especially on marsh islands. So many guys make a mistake shooting these young bucks coming from satellite beds and totally ruin the hunt for bucks in primary beds. If you pay very close attention to the young bucks you can tell there may be another buck coming behind them just by the way they act. Sure many times it's another young buck or antlerless deer but seen enough old bucks using them as decoys ahead of them. They hang back and are instantly gone if danger shows ahead from the young buck. One of the smartest bucks I ever hunted always teamed up with a younger buck always bedding in close proximity. Of course not all bucks will tolerate this as many are loners but it proved to me to always watch and learn the habits of young bucks. You never know what they may show you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”