Deer Patterns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Baseball3011

Deer Patterns

Unread postby Baseball3011 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey guys, the past two summers I've been routinely glassing deer around some of my hunting properties.

Last summer I observed 5 bucks, not large, but still a great chance to observe and learn. I would glass these deer everyday, but right around this time they disappeared. Fast forward to this year. About a month ago I started glassing 5 bucks in the field, but now there are 3 bucks that I would be more than happy to put my tag on. I got permission from the land owner, but about two weeks ago they stopped coming to the field.

There's a five acre woodlot splitting the field in half With a large ditch line that I believe they could be bedding in, but I don't want to disturb the area. Do you beleive the deer are starting to transition their patterns due to changing food sources or bachelor groups starting to break-up? Are you guys seeing similar things around your area? I guess I'm not really sure, but I'd really like to hear some of your opinions.

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Deer Patterns

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:58 pm

This is always a hard time of the year in my opinion. I talked to Mainebowhunter a few weeks back and we were discussing how deer tend to have that velvet shift. I think it has something to do with food sources along with hormone levels changing as we get closer to the velvet shedding. Also there are some people who are behind the game who are now diving into the woods scouting and could be disrupting the deer. In your case it sounds like these deer may be moving to another area. Sometimes it will be close by other times far enough where you don't have permission. I have personally seen bucks hitting bean fields every day and then as soon as a hint of yellow comes out they're gone. Acorns, apples and other food sources may be where they shifted. Also try to identify the secure cover in the area where these deer can go and not be harassed.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Last year did you ever relocate the bucks you were classing during the summer. If you did I would focus on that and expect the same seasonal pattern this year as last but this year you can be ahead of them. It's difficult to observe a pattern and see it continue very long that same season, but the deer woods changes similarly each year and that you can take advantage of.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Anyone else hunting the property? I know where I hunt the same scenario plays out every year. From my observation it's due to the amount of activity that starts up from out of nowhere. All of a sudden guys are trimming trees, hanging stands, driving the property etc...... Try to find where they are bedding and I bet you'll catch one coming out during daylight. From my observations, they seem to still be in a summer pattern and will move a little earlier and a little farther from their beds the first week or so of the season but won't quite make it to the field before dark. After the first week they have usually figured it out and don't move quiet as far from their beds during daylight.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:23 pm

I don't normally see the shift take place till mid september. Target buck I am chasing again this season peeled last year on 9.5, 5 days before season opener. he disappeared for 20 days. No pics on any cams.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:52 am

Anywhere from mid August to the end of September summer patterns change and fall patterns begin every single year....I have gotten to the point where I don't bother hardly thinking about summer patterns because our opener isn't till Oct 1st and about 99% of deer have shifted by there. If your opener is earlier in September you sometimes can catch them on the summer pattern but it sounds like what you see is consistently in August. So plan for that to happen again.

Bedding sometimes changes and sometimes does not, that is worth keeping an eye on. Food sources almost always change in that time period as well as general behavior with velvet shedding. Be proactive and think about what the buck is gonna do tomorrow or next week not what he did all summer long.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:07 am

JoeRE wrote:Anywhere from mid August to the end of September summer patterns change and fall patterns begin every single year....I have gotten to the point where I don't bother hardly thinking about summer patterns because our opener isn't till Oct 1st and about 99% of deer have shifted by there. If your opener is earlier in September you sometimes can catch them on the summer pattern but it sounds like what you see is consistently in August. So plan for that to happen again.

Bedding sometimes changes and sometimes does not, that is worth keeping an eye on. Food sources almost always change in that time period as well as general behavior with velvet shedding. Be proactive and think about what the buck is gonna do tomorrow or next week not what he did all summer long.

And that is the only reason why I pay much attention to it. September 9th opening.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Anywhere from mid August to the end of September summer patterns change and fall patterns begin every single year....I have gotten to the point where I don't bother hardly thinking about summer patterns because our opener isn't till Oct 1st and about 99% of deer have shifted by there. If your opener is earlier in September you sometimes can catch them on the summer pattern but it sounds like what you see is consistently in August. So plan for that to happen again.

And that is the only reason why I pay much attention to it. September 9th opening.

I would too with that opener!
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:40 am

I'll be starting sept 11 so I'm hoping to find some holding on to summer patterns. If the deer are shifting in August it will at least give you some time to try to relocate them before season

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”