Best time to shoot a doe

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Best time to shoot a doe

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:42 am

In my previous post, I mentioned that I'll get a doe tag this year, I've never had a doe tag with my bow, and I don't know if some times are better than others for meat.. As of now my plan is to take the first adult doe I have a chance at, unless you guys tell me differently.

Please tell me what you guys think, thanks!

Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Re: Best time to shoot a doe

Unread postby Jhand » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:52 am

If I shoot a doe I normally do it early season. Won't waste a hunt on it tho. Will wait for a day the wind is wrong for my good spots and try out a new area. Our area is a little different tho we get 4 or 5 Doe tags when we purchase our license.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:01 am

Usually early in the season and in an area, you aren't going to mess up your prime buck spots. I have an area that has been historically good for shooting doe's early. Never had any luck seeing bucks there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
CarolinaKid

Unread postby CarolinaKid » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:09 am

Early season for the same reasons listed above.

To each his own but in late season the doe might be pregnant.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am

I would think early in the season and I would pick a field edge if one is available. Seems like that would be the least intrusive spot to kill one. I'd also dip her in buttermilk and flour and fry her until golden brown. Add gravy and enjoy!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 am

After you have a big old buck hanging.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:01 am

My thoughts are more in line with Stanley. I'll go a step further and say late season. Reason being. Having all of the does available to breed during the rut. Will make your rut hunt better. Waiting til late season also gives you full focus on getting that elusive mature buck. During the early and rut periods. Before some are taken out by the orange army. Just like mature bucks key in on food sources during the cold of late season. So do the does. They too will be easier to pattern then.

I know it is nice to get one in the freezer before shooting a buck. And can boost ones confidence. But like Stan always says. Why waste a hunt on a doe before you've got your buck.

As far as the doe being pregnant late season. What's the difference if you shoot one early. Over 90% of the time that early doe would have gotten pregnant too. No matter the time of year. Killing a doe usually means taking out more than 1 deer for the next season anyways.

Opportunities may arise from buck hunts also. If it's late in the day and a buck hasn't showed, but a doe has. Go for it. Especially if your not planning on hunting the spot again for the year.

By the way this thinking is totally opposite of what I thought last year. But things Dan and Stan always bring up changed my mind.

I am going to try and use the gun season to fill my doe tags. Even the tags I get with my bow permit. Can be used either season here. Don't know how it works next door in Mn.

Good luck.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:02 am

The county I hunt is crazy! U r allowed 2 doe that u can harvest the month of October or thanksgiving weekend. I try to make afew attempts to get them early but when temps are in the 90s early season and I often let lay overnight somethings I wait until thanksgiving which is when the rut here is getting cranked up.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:13 am

Anytime outside the best 4 or 5 rut weeks. Preferably when it's cooler, makes it easier to deal with the meat.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:31 am

Stanley wrote:After you have a big old buck hanging.

Coming from the big old buck slayer himself 8-)

If this was my plan, I would not be enjoying venison very often. Hopefully this year I will be starting a new trend!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:59 am

I'll shoot one when it walks by and gives me a shot, and I have a tag in my pocket.

I'm a deer hunter. Not a buck hunter. To each their own though
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 am

I'd say before the traditional firearm seasons would be a good time to kill one with the bow. I havnt killed a doe in a long time, I'd really like to put one down this year.

I don't see it as a wasted hunt. I hunt other game also before I have a buck down, I don't view my squirrel hunts as a wasted hunt.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 am

Great topic. This has been on my mind lately as we are allowed bonus tags for antlerless deer in the metro. My plan was to hit public land that I am not targeting bucks on and have not scouted to hunt does this year. I am also going to use morning hunts for this as I keep hearing that evening hunts are better for mature bucks.

So in other words, I can still hunt mornings while learning new areas.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:57 am

Jonny wrote:I'll shoot one when it walks by and gives me a shot, and I have a tag in my pocket.

Take the opportunity that presents itself. If you know where the does hang out - get one early, a good opening morning kind of hunt.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 am

my opinion alway's early season to get the confidence up in your shooting. plus now once that's out of the way no choice but to go after the big boys

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”