Went shed hunting...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Went shed hunting...

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:57 am

and damn near got shot!! I put 3 trail camera's out 2 weeks ago to see what I had around yet. Today I figured I'd pull them and also do some shed hunting In the process. The land I hunt on Is on the north side of a big slough. I was walking the edge of the woods by this lake following a big deer trail when all of a sudden shots were getting fired. I thought, where the are these coming from and what are they shooting at?? I hid behind a small 6" tree as It was the biggest tree around. Rifle shots were hitting tree's 20 to 30 yards from me to the west. I was shitting tacks!! I look out In the lake and there Is a coyote running across the lake heading to the woods I'm In and the shots were coming from directly across the lake. Right after that I heard hounds barking and It dawned on me right away that these were coyote hunters. I stayed behind the tree for a couple more minutes and continued on my shed hunt.

After walking nearly 2 miles In waist deep snow with out finding a single shed I got to my vehicle and headed back home. On the way home I ran Into the coyote hunters on the road retrieving their dogs. I pulled over and asked the guy If they got one and he had said they saw 2 of them and got the one. I then told them they almost got me too. They looked at me like what the heck are you talking about. I pointed and told them I was In that woods right there and the coyote was about 60 yards from me when you guys were shooting from the other side of the lake. You should've saw the look In their eye's!! It wasn't their fault by any means, I told them not to worry. I knew the one guy pretty good as him and I usually sit down over a few cold ones once a year and talk deer hunting. He's a good guy and man did he feel bad.

This shed hunting stuff Is dangerous. ;)

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Went shed hunting...

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Holy crap! Glad to hear you are alright (and it sucks you didnt find any sheds)!. Man I woulda been scared as !

We might have to start wearing orange when we're out shed hunting! Haha
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Duck!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:32 pm

wow! close call! the coyote hunters are starting to run around in my area also...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:37 pm

You better survive long enough to enjoy your new truck!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 pm

LMAO Todd!!
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:24 am

:o Carefull out there!!!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:01 am

magicman54494 wrote:You better survive long enough to enjoy your new truck!

ha-ha - lmao!
I'll take his bow!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:26 am

Glad to hear your all right. Never thought of predator hunters when walking thru the woods in winter. :shock: I usally wear snow camo jacket.....this might be a bad idea.

Maybe an orange hat is needed?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:33 am

Scary story Schultzy, glad you made it out of there.

I had an interesting experience this fall. I was hunting a bedding area just off the Mississippii River. I knew it was duck opener but figured no big deal, well little did I know this must be an area hot spot. I kid you not 7 boats came through my little area that morning and 3 of them decided to setup camp. I wasn't in any real danger because they were far enough away but I god sprayed with bb's all morning and just about fell out of the tree when their shotguns started to bark. Needless to say that spot has been crossed off my list.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:46 am

I then told them they almost got me too. They looked at me like what the heck are you talking about. I pointed and told them I was In that woods right there and the coyote was about 60 yards from me when you guys were shooting from the other side of the lake. You should've saw the look In their eye's!! It wasn't their fault by any means, I told them not to worry

I woulda been nice too, but I will say this, its the shooters responsability to know his target and beyond. A woods, or cattails/brush is not a back drop for a rifle bullet. I was taught to always invision where your bullet will end up with every shot. Over in that woods across the lake is not the right answer....
One time while hunting late season bow in Iowa I had a 130 class buck with about 10 smaller deer making there way to my stand when a pick up truck pulled up onto a hill a few hundred yards away and several guys jumped out with rifles and started open firing on the deer herd ( out of season ) when the deer ran past me it put me in line with the shooting. I was not hit, but it got pretty hairy. Then the guys got back in the truck and flew down the hill by me and started looking for blood. I climbed down from the tree and the guys were shocked. One guy said "I had no idea you were hunting there!" I said "aparantly not" Then I just left.
Those guys were running coyotes with hounds and after a few days of deer hunting I was finding deer carcasses they were killing and dumping near vehical access and starting there dogs off the deer carcass baits.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:00 am

You are absolutely right Dan. The 1st rule of hunter's safety is know your target AND what's beyond. It sure wouldn't hurt to wear orange when shed hunting. Alot more people getting into predator hunting. And you can never be too safe.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 am

but I will say this, its the shooters responsability to know his target and beyond. A woods, or cattails/brush is not a back drop for a rifle bullet. I was taught to always invision where your bullet will end up with every shot. Over in that woods across the lake is not the right answer....
Agree. This Is the very thing dad always taught me as well when I was a youngster.

It sure wouldn't hurt to wear orange when shed hunting. Alot more people getting into predator hunting. And you can never be too safe.
Right on. Me and my brother said the same thing when I told him about It.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”