Do Coyotes Kill/Hunt Small Fawns?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kokes
500 Club

Re: Do Coyotes Kill/Hunt Small Fawns?

Unread postby Kokes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:53 am

That's a crazy pic Stanley thx for sharing.
I've read that coyotes eat up to 50 percent of the fawns that drop in the spring...I like to hunt yotes in the spring in the areas I hunt but I know full well it won't take long for another yote to move back into the area.

Clink

Unread postby Clink » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Can't get rid of them. Kill one and another takes its place. Coyotes have been spreading and populations have increased but they are incredibly hard to manage. Bears also take their fair share of fawns in a lot of places.

What can ya do?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:57 am

Yea its not pretty seeing what they do to a fawn but can't say that I blame them....I like the way young deer tastes myself. :L:

I take coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, just one predator trying to reduce the competition. I used to assume I was superior to other predators but not anymore I am just one more critter out there hunting to kill and eat. Maybe after we humans kill each other off coyotes will rule the world.

Had a series of photos a couple years ago that was of a coyote carrying pieces of a fawn back and forth to I am sure a den of young ones. The time function stopped working on that crappy WGI camera (maybe should have been an indication to me that the owner of the company is a poacher :lol:). It was sometime around end of July 2015. Interesting pictures anyway.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:29 am

Food chain at work, bears do a lot of damage to the fawns too, it just is what it is.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:46 am

I shot a three-and-a-half-year-old 8-point that was being chased by a coyote. This year while scouting I watched the coyote chasing a doe. I think they just get behind them and push them till they can't run anymore. I also shot a seven-point a few years ago that a large Bobcat was trying to kill. All true stories all personal experiences. Crazy. The 8-point could barely run anymore when I had shot it tongue hanging out kind of like during the rut. The Cody was just slowly running behind it staying on its Trail
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Eddiegomes83 wrote:I shot a three-and-a-half-year-old 8-point that was being chased by a coyote. This year while scouting I watched the coyote chasing a doe. I think they just get behind them and push them till they can't run anymore. I also shot a seven-point a few years ago that a large Bobcat was trying to kill. All true stories all personal experiences. Crazy. The 8-point could barely run anymore when I had shot it tongue hanging out kind of like during the rut. The Cody was just slowly running behind it staying on its Trail

Wow that must have been quite the sight to see! Deer was lucky you were there to give him a quick death...cant imagine being taken out by a coyote... :shock:
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:
Eddiegomes83 wrote:I shot a three-and-a-half-year-old 8-point that was being chased by a coyote. This year while scouting I watched the coyote chasing a doe. I think they just get behind them and push them till they can't run anymore. I also shot a seven-point a few years ago that a large Bobcat was trying to kill. All true stories all personal experiences. Crazy. The 8-point could barely run anymore when I had shot it tongue hanging out kind of like during the rut. The Cody was just slowly running behind it staying on its Trail

Wow that must have been quite the sight to see! Deer was lucky you were there to give him a quick death...cant imagine being taken out by a coyote... :shock:

Yeah it appears they just run them to death
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Coyotes are overpopulated here like in so many areas.

I feel so bad for the little fawns can't run away or even try to fight back.Makes me want to wipeout coyotes but the food chain has and will always exist unfortunately.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:32 pm

I have found evidence of 3 mangled fawns from coyotes this summer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”