Rage Hypodermic Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Rage Hypodermic Question

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:I'd stick with fixed heads for bear. You would probably be ok for deer but a bear is a much different animal. The last thing you want is minimal penetration and walking through the woods with a wounded bear

X2

Welcome to the beast. I am looking forward to your posts this season.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Every 1" of draw length is about equal to 10#'s on the draw weight. The OP has both a short draw AND a low poundage bow. Mechanicals - of any verity - would not be something I would recommend in such a case. Stick to fixed blade.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 pm

Rich M wrote:I bought some Rage Hypo+P 1.5s and they look & feel real good. The cam action is free-floating - absolutely zero resistance.

The way they work is to have a semi-sharp point, it pushes the skin in and then the plastic collar on the back breaks, blades sweep out and cut a larger than life entrance wound, blades stay back as long as there is resistance.

OH - I'm gonna be shooting 50 pounds this year with about the same arrow weight, 29 inch draw. The Hypo+P is made for lower poundage bows.

I don't know about bears. I'd be comfortable with the hypo+P on deer and hogs. No experience with bears.

OP only has a 24" draw though. That means he would have to shoot a 100 pound draw weight to get to the same energy as your 50# bow with a 29" draw... Mechanicals of any verity are a no go for the OP in my opinion. I would stick to CoC heads.
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:07 pm

I would recommend a fixed head with a solid ferrule design. I shoot a large single bevel as mentioned my Wlog. They work great and fly well for me. If you are very accurate with what you have now. I would recommend not changing. It's most important to hit the right spot. And making sure your blades are sharp.

If you keep your the muzzies I would get a pack of replacement blades and put fresh on the day of the hunt. Doesn't take much to dull a razor. In and out of quiver foam can keep them from being as sharp as needed.

Everybody want the "newest and greatest". But there are much better options for low poundage short draw shooters than a mechanical head.

For the record. I have a 26" draw and have a 40 lb recurve. So my actual poundage is like 36-37 lbs.

Hope this helps.
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:20 pm

I ended up buying the Slick Trick Viper Trick broadheads which is a fixed blade but is also cut on contact so that should also help. Thanks for all the advice guys!
Kybowhunter

Unread postby Kybowhunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Forkhorn wrote:I ended up buying the Slick Trick Viper Trick broadheads which is a fixed blade but is also cut on contact so that should also help. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Excellent choice!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 am

Good Choice. I shoot the Hypodermics and love them but i'm pushing a lot of KE. Low poundage stick to fixed blades.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”