Hanging climbing sticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JTH

Hanging climbing sticks

Unread postby JTH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:23 pm

I've noticed on every video that I've watched of guys hanging sticks that when they go to attach the belt around the tree the buckle side is the one that always goes around and then attaches. The first few times I hung a set of sticks I did it the same way. Not having anything on the buckles to silent them at the time, I thought I would just keep the buckle side attached and bring the other loop end around just to keep the buckle from accidentally hitting something and making noise. I understand if the tree was big around you could use the weight of the buckle to help get the strap around the tree if you couldn't reach around it. Just curious if theirs a reason and if theirs a safety purpose I need to know about. Thanks for any input and also I cant remember which podcast guest it was on the NFC that was talking about covering buckle with a beer coozie. If anyone has ever heard of that I would love to see some pictures. Thanks

Dewey

Re: Hanging climbing sticks

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Big Ben

Unread postby Big Ben » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 pm

Awesome idea on the yakgrips...just ordered some camo ones on ebay!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:22 pm

YakGrips work great. Just a heads up......reinforce the stitching after cutting them in half, because it will loosen up over time and they will separate at the seam.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Yak grips work good. You can also use a bike inner tube to cover the buckles.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13 am

I think the reason people put the buckle side around is like you said for the weight to aid in getting around the tree and having something to grab. The biggest reason i believe is just because the bucket end is used to tighten the sticks so it makes sense to attach that side last in case you need more slack
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:14 am

Thanks I believe this may be the route I take. Do they press in on the buckle to much to where it doesn't catch or is their enough space inside for it to lock? Just curious if you have to cut it any for relief like you do with the inter tubes
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:42 am

JTH wrote:

Thanks I believe this may be the route I take. Do they press in on the buckle to much to where it doesn't catch or is their enough space inside for it to lock? Just curious if you have to cut it any for relief like you do with the inter tubes

I never had to cut anything out. They are a bit stiff at first but loosen up with use. Never had a problem with slipping of the strap or anything like that from too much pressure.
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 am

Dewey wrote:
JTH wrote:

I never had to cut anything out. They are a bit stiff at first but loosen up with use. Never had a problem with slipping of the strap or anything like that from too much pressure.

How much use will they take? Are they lasting a season or more than that. I know it will depend on how much use they get throughout the season. Just looking for a ballpark estimate.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:38 am

JTH wrote:
Dewey wrote:
JTH wrote:

How much use will they take? Are they lasting a season or more than that. I know it will depend on how much use they get throughout the season. Just looking for a ballpark estimate.

Loosening up with use meaning they won't be as stiff when pressing the strap button. I have used the same pair of YakGrips for 3 seasons and they still work fine.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:12 am

JTH wrote:I've noticed on every video that I've watched of guys hanging sticks that when they go to attach the belt around the tree the buckle side is the one that always goes around and then attaches. The first few times I hung a set of sticks I did it the same way. Not having anything on the buckles to silent them at the time, I thought I would just keep the buckle side attached and bring the other loop end around just to keep the buckle from accidentally hitting something and making noise. I understand if the tree was big around you could use the weight of the buckle to help get the strap around the tree if you couldn't reach around it. Just curious if theirs a reason and if theirs a safety purpose I need to know about. Thanks for any input and also I cant remember which podcast guest it was on the NFC that was talking about covering buckle with a beer coozie. If anyone has ever heard of that I would love to see some pictures. Thanks

I usually keep might short and through the buckle end around the tree for
1: extra weight
2: easy one hand adjustment
With it being a little shorter than needed, i just depress the button with one hand and pull to the versa button and attach. If i do it to long then it is kind of a pain and you may need 2 hands at that point or you may get twist.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:23 am

I guess I am in the minority. I keep the buckle end by the stick and pass around the other end. I like it because I can tighten it with my right hand by pushing the strap away from me.
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:16 am

Brad wrote:I guess I am in the minority. I keep the buckle end by the stick and pass around the other end. I like it because I can tighten it with my right hand by pushing the strap away from me.

This is exactly what I do. I also realized that if I grab the bottom of the stick and pull it slightly away from the tree and then down, I can pull most of the downward slack out of the stick so it doesn't drag down the tree making as much noise when I apply my wait to the stick.
Lbbowhunter76

Unread postby Lbbowhunter76 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 am

I just took a neoprene can cuze cut it in half and sewed it back together around the buckle. Seems to work good.
JTH

Unread postby JTH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:04 pm

Lbbowhunter76 wrote:I just took a neoprene can cuze cut it in half and sewed it back together around the buckle. Seems to work good.

Any way you could post a picture?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”