Difference between good and great?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
docwaters

Re: Difference between good and great?

Unread postby docwaters » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:07 pm

woodswalker wrote:It is a question that has no answer beyond many opinions and opinions are not answers because everyone has opinions. In addition there are many opinions of what is a successful hunt. What is the criteria? number of deer, inches of bone, how many deer, what? I really don't care about other peoples opinion of what kind of hunter I am, I only have to satisfy me. Labels only serve to separate hunters, not enjoining them. Hunting is not a competition between hunters, it is a competition between hunter and the prey so good and great are relative terms that are decided by people who were not involved in the hunt!

X2

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:10 pm

My opinion of what makes one great is how does he perform on a level playing field, with locating a big one, having the skills to get access to the property or find him on public and the know how to close the deal.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 pm

What KYHunter said. If you read some of the personal sacrifices some of the folks like Dan have made in pursuit of big bucks it's more than most of us are willing to make. If you get a chance look up Capt STEVE HUFF of Everglades City , Fl. He is considered by many to be the greatest fishing guide in the world. The guy is literally booked for life! There are a lot of similarities in the level of dedication.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm

A good hunter finds and kills big bucks. A great hunter does it but stays humble about it. I know of some great hunters...
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Anyone that is great at anything is a problem solver.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Great thoughts and ideas on what people think a great hunter is. What makes a great golfer, basketball player, tennis player, chess player? It would be hard to argue that results separate the greats from the rest. Deer hunting is somewhat more challenging to classify the participants. But how many times have you heard someone say; if I would have capitalized on all the opportunities I've had I'd have as many bucks on the wall as so and so (Dan for instance)?

I could go on and on but everything that contributes to killing a buck, isn't the end result the measuring stick? How else would you categorize a great hunter? I think we all make excuses as to why we are not great hunters. No good hunting spots, no good hunting state, no good hunting county, no good time to hunt etc. You don't hear the great ones talk like that. I try and tell it like it is and not sugar coat it. For the record, I am not a great hunter and don't profess to be.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Some are naturals, born with it!
Some have to work for it...
Some will never get there.
Some are lucky to have opportunities others don't (relatives somewhat perfect deer lands etc...)

Time (on stand & scouting) is a big factor, location (deer/sq. mi.) is a big factor, experience is a big factor, years on the same properties is a big factor... :whistle:
Last edited by Edcyclopedia on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Double post
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 pm

What is perceived by many to be great has often crashed to the ground when the smoke cleared from the mirrors.

How many "Great" celebrity hunters have fell.
How is Barry Bonds bid for the hall going.
Tiger Woods?

What makes a hunter great? Bone on the wall? Passing on knowledge to the next generation? Ditching his life priorities to get one more night in the woods?

Way to many variables to give a solid answer.

It has often been said on here. No-one really cares what your trophy room looks like but you. It is man vs buck. That's it.

I would consider anyone dedicated to the pursuit to be great.. Many many great hunters log into The Beast daily.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 am

Great point by Stanley. The great ones figure out a way to make it happen. No excuses.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:28 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb and not read anything into your post.

A good hunter does okay, he/she shoots a deer or two each year. A great hunter finds deer when he/she wants and bigger ones.

It is all about knowledge - many on here are fixated on the false premise that "hard work = better results". That is not true - work smarter, not harder.

The guy who understands how deer work is the better hunter. One part of Dan's hill country video they show the guys all spread out looking for beds - Dan was about 25 yards downhill from them, all by himself. The guys up top could look/scout all they want and work hard and not find a thing, while Dan was on to something. Hmmm. :think:

The guy who understands the winds and thermals, how deer use the terrain, etc. is the guy who's gonna get more & better deer. This hunter can take a week off, drive to another state and hunt unseen territory, shoot big bucks. That's not harder work, that's smarter work.

The Beast makes us smarter cause we share experiences, what works, etc. There is hope!
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:43 am

Willingness to learn and adapt, passion, work ethic, dedication.

As has been said before on the beast, there's a difference between a great hunter and a great spot(s). There's also guys that seemingly have it all, shoot big bucks every year, are more knowledgeable than most, etc but never made it to a family function, are selfish, and have disappointed the people in their lives.

In my opinion, I know some really good hunters, but I also know some really good PEOPLE. Those that take the time to help others, teach, give back, sacrifice. That is what I respect the most, the guy that can wear different hats and still get it done with any type of regularity.

Everyone chooses a different path and I am not knocking anybody or their choices, but bucks on the wall, # of deer killed, those things don't make a great hunter to me.
beachpeaz

Unread postby beachpeaz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:17 am

woodswalker wrote:It is a question that has no answer beyond many opinions and opinions are not answers because everyone has opinions. In addition there are many opinions of what is a successful hunt. What is the criteria? number of deer, inches of bone, how many deer, what? I really don't care about other peoples opinion of what kind of hunter I am, I only have to satisfy me. Labels only serve to separate hunters, not enjoining them. Hunting is not a competition between hunters, it is a competition between hunter and the prey so good and great are relative terms that are decided by people who were not involved in the hunt!

I would take what you said even one step further and say WHERE are they hunting! The OP says a "known big buck killer," but to me that just screams "celebrity hunter" and unrealistic TV show expectations. I can almost guarantee you that the vast majority of people who grew up in the midwest and have killed a trophy buck, could not pull off the same feet outside of the midwest (like NY where I live). I've hunted both and it is 2 different leagues of deer. Dumb, baited, MW deer, and incredibly smart, over-hunted NE deer. Zero comparison.
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:35 am

Couple buddies and I had a pretty in depth conversation about this the other night. Our posed question was "In your opinion, what makes a GREAT hunter?"
Even between the 3 of us, it was apparent that any answer will always be an opinion. My opinion is based on results. If you ask me who was the greatest golfer of all time, I'm going to look at results. If you ask me if so and so was a great baseball player, I'm going to look at what he achieved, and his results. To me, it is the same with identifying someone as a great hunter vs a really good hunter. I said my definition of a truly great hunter is someone that can be dropped almost anywhere in the country, identify what the top 10% of bucks in that area is, and kill one. I said I do not care how they do it, what tactics they use, nothing. As long as they legally figure out how to get it done on a consistent basis, every year, I would deem them a great hunter. Those are some serious results. It is a very weighted question, one I could probably discuss for hours. This is a snippit of my opinion on this. Everyone has their own opinion, and none of them are right or wrong. Definitely an interesting discussion!
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:24 am

DeerDylan wrote:Anyone that is great at anything is a problem solver.

I don't think there is a better way to describe "Success" or "Greatness"

All of our actions in personal life, Business and outdoor pursuits will be made better with observation, understanding and problem solving!

Well said DeerDylan.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”