Doe groups bedded by other doe groups rare?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Doe groups bedded by other doe groups rare?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:42 am

I found a area that appears to have 2 doe bedding areas within 60 yards of each other. Rubs were not in the bedding area and bedding was circular.

One had 5 beds other had about 9 beds. Is this rare?

But it just seems strange for such a small area.Both were on lee slopes. Possible overlap of territory?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Doe groups bedded by other doe groups rare?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Great question but no replies... when I get home tonight I will get a detailed reply up for you if fellow Beasts have not had time to answer.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:34 pm

I experience all kinds of weird bedding with does. Some properties they bed in large groups but most are small usually 2 does and a fawn. They also seem to just have random beds with in the same core bedding area on leeward side of ridge as described, or sometimes spread out in thick areas softwoods. I actually prefer multiple small groups vs large ones. During rut that makes big boy travel more distance and not set on top of just one group.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:I found a area that appears to have 2 doe bedding areas within 60 yards of each other. Rubs were not in the bedding area and bedding was circular.

One had 5 beds other had about 9 beds. Is this rare?

But it just seems strange for such a small area.Both were on lee slopes. Possible overlap of territory?

Personally I think were all waiting for Singing Bridge :whistle:

Although I was curious WHEN you found this bedding area?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:55 am

High deer densities it is normal.

One time I kicked up 3 different groups within about a 2 acre area. First group had 7. 50 yards away there were 4 and and about 75 yards from them there were 13 on a swamp island about a 1/16th acre in size
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:41 am

No, I don't think so. I see that quite frequently as well, especially with higher deer densities. I've found doe groups to be very dynamic throughout the fall. They tend to be pretty solitary as they raise fawns in the summer, but during hunting season I've often seen these groups freely join and intermingle. Not uncommon to see groups of 20+ post rut.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:26 am

PK_ wrote:High deer densities it is normal.

One time I kicked up 3 different groups within about a 2 acre area. First group had 7. 50 yards away there were 4 and and about 75 yards from them there were 13 on a swamp island about a 1/16th acre in size

elk yinzer wrote:No, I don't think so. I see that quite frequently as well, especially with higher deer densities. I've found doe groups to be very dynamic throughout the fall. They tend to be pretty solitary as they raise fawns in the summer, but during hunting season I've often seen these groups freely join and intermingle. Not uncommon to see groups of 20+ post rut.

I agree w this. One place that I found in the off season, jumped out a herd of does. I stopped counting at 10...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:31 am

Looks like I know where I will be sitting during the rut 100 yards downwind.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:44 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Looks like I know where I will be sitting during the rut 100 yards downwind.

If you have that many doe in the area and it's high density, that would be a good spot for late rut sets as well. That can be all the way up til the last day of season even, maybe you all have a late muzzleloader? In high density areas I have found rut beds while off season scouting that stink so bad its like there was a fresh bottle dumped in it. Last year I found one on March 5th!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:15 am

Yea depends on doe densities and what bedding is available. I have seen family groups range from 2 does with 1 or more fawns up to more than a dozen total deer. I have also seen doe family groups bed close together when that was the only good bedding in a large area - for instance a small area of thicker cover surrounded by a lot of mature hardwood timber with very little understory.

And yes the more concentrated those areas the better the rut activity. But I also find bucks hurass some of those areas so much you can't find a doe in there most of November. But if you get in on the first doe in heat there before they all get run out - action is as good as it gets.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:22 am

See it all the time. Good bedding areas are good for a reason. I see 2-5 group bedding areas overlap quite frequently. It also offers some security for the groups.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:15 am

excellent replies! sorry I didn't get here sooner- crazy week.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”