Realistic expectations & being satisfied with them.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Realistic expectations & being satisfied with them.

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:05 am

Compared to how last season went. I was expecting my health to be better. During this spring and summer. Though certain things are better. Different things are worse. Gotta love chronic Lyme!

As the season fast approaches. I was becoming more frustrated. With the fact that I don't have alot of my planned kill spots ready yet. My situation is a little unique. Because I'm forced to hunt at ground or even what is more like water level. I didn't set up spots when scouting. I needed to wait until plants were near full summer growth in most spots. To clear lanes.

Well last night I was thinking. When suddenly it hit me. Despite not being at where I hoped to be. I'm still more prepared than last year. I have a handful of quality spots. That if I hunt smart. Should give me a crack at at least a 2.5YO. With a crack at a doe or 2 mixed in.

So a little more to my point mentioned in the title. Sure all of us Beasts really want to kill a mature slob. But it's not realistic for alot of us. Location, time, family, job, health, even lack of preparedness because you didn't find the Beast until a month or so ago. Means we must either lower our standards on buck age class/antler size. Or just assume killing a target buck this year is not going to happen. Or at least the odds are low.

Getting to this point in our thinking is one thing. Being satisfied with it is another. Now I'm not talking long term here. We all want to progress in our skills. So our desires to kill a truly mature buck. Can be reached some day. Then doing it consistently from year to year. To get there means "not" being satisfied with where we're at.

But for this season. Realizing where we're truly at. Thinking of it as a stepping stone towards our ultimate goal/s. Using it to learn. Figuring out mistakes or problem areas that come up. Then fixing them. Being happy with each and every out come.

Will keep from making the season a grind. Keep the stresses off. Just make this year way more enjoyable. Keeping it fun.

And for those of you that are more experienced. That can hit it hard. Remember to "stop and smell the roses" along the way!!!

It's the journey not the kill that's important.

Good luck everyone!!!

Thanx

Chuck

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Re: Realistic expectations & being satisfied with them.

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 am

I don't like to put pressure on myself. I am much more successful when my outlook is to just focus on having fun and don't let things that are out of my control affect my decision making. In the end I enjoy every single part of the season and don't get caught up in the pressure of tagging a buck. It becomes a miserable season and sucks the fun right out of it if you don't know how to manage this.

I truly love the grind of the season and look forward to improving every year. Some of my most memorable seasons didn't end with me tagging a buck. I realize that is the ultimate goal but to me it's all about the journey to reach that goal.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:45 am

On a practical level this year I've had a hard time getting as much prep done as I would have liked or have the past several years, but I'm not bothered by it. My goals always start with enjoying myself, which makes it easy to meet them.

For me personally, sometimes I wonder if subconciously I prioritize other things over scouting on purpose to fight the potential for it to become a grind as opposed to a release. Don't really know I guess, but I think one of my personal strengths is being pretty realistic with expectations without letting it tip over into excuse making territory. I try very hard not to play the "well if I did that I'd shoot those bucks too" game. We all make our choices, learning to live with them and accept or change things until you can is the best way to live contently to me.

Over the last couple years between work and two little kids, I've found that I can burn out pretty good (and more importantly burn the wife out) by hunting season if I'm 24/7 365. I've started skewing more towards in-season scouting and using that to gain current and future intel, and only setting up when the odds seem high. One of the hurdles for me was getting over needing to get a sit in every time I went "hunting". Now if I'm not seeing what I want, or a spot doesn't look like it worked out, I just keep moving, and probably 25-35% of the time don't even make a sit. I've bumped some deer I probably should have set-up on this way, but more info gathered. I think PK mentioned he takes similar approach. This is working for me now, and building great in-season intel for the future too. As the kids get a little older and have more stamina and ability for real spring scouting, I'll probably ramp back up more.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:48 am

Agree with what's been said above. You need to enjoy the journey and learn from mistakes. Make it fun and realize killing big bucks every year is no easy task even though some make it look easy. Soak in the moment when you do connect as we work so hard for such a short period of fulfilment.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:52 am

Just wanted to add, that the limits on my expectations are nothing compared to what you face stash, much respect. Beyond just having the mental toughness and perseverence to keep grinding, your positive attitude is unreal inspiring to me.
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 am

Great post, spot on! Something we all need to remember about hunting and life in general.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:00 am

I have a lot of cameras out, plus a few buddies with a lot more. These cams are spread out across at least 12 different properties. The biggest buck we have on camera in the past 6 weeks might make 120", so as of this exact moment, it's not looking promising to bag a P&Y class animal in Michigan for me this season. There is still some time left to find one, but I'm not holding my breath. I've come to terms with the fact that I should be happy with any buck 3.5+ despite its headgear, or anything 100"+ despite its age. Those are just the facts of life in almost all of the areas I have access to hunt in Michigan.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 am

I think you are doing great Stash. When judged in the context of what we must overcome, few can compare. And I meant that.

Its easy to look successful when you are dealt four aces. That is what I have been dealt with living where I do, having full health and a pair of legs that likes climbing hills. Even as blessed as I am I could look jealously upon guys who kill booners every year on high managed land. Man it must be nice to be them I rarely see a buck that big, poor poor me. That is why comparing hunting accomplishments to each other is foolish. Every hunter goes through that phase though, the lucky ones grow out of it - the others will end up being miserable cuz there is ALWAYS going to be someone else better, faster, smarter.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:35 am

I think u r doing great as well stash! I am behind as well and I have no excuse other than just been lazy this spring. Sad part is I know better. I'm blessed to have the time and family support to spend a lot of time afield chasing these critters. Most have a far rougher road and should set expectations accordingly. A trophy is in the eye of the hunter not the numbers on a ruler. Memories and backstraps on the grill brotha!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:05 am

My biggest personal struggle is my MENTAL TOUGHNESS. I'm going full on Beast Style Hunting this year, and absolutely none of my buddies that are around me are even remotely interested. They are still on corn piles on leases and luck on public land, and nothing is wrong with that, but its tough mentally to stay positive when people around you don't have the same goal. It's all self supportive so to say, and you have to keep yourself going, no buddies to say the last 8 bed hunts didn't pan out, try it again, or you haven't saw a deer in 10 hunts bed hunting and I'm covered up in does. It's a special kind of resilience to deal with in my opinion, but even as I write this, the quote I have come to live by when it comes to Beast Style Hunting comes to mind...If you hunt like every one else, you have to expect the same results! They're not putting bruisers down consistently so I have nothing to lose going all in.
wkpjs

Unread postby wkpjs » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 am

My struggle also is a mental one. I am new to this so I will really test my patience this year as I embark on this journey. Reading all of your posts reminds me that it really is about having fun.
Be Safe

Jason
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:17 am

Hit the nail on the head with this one!

We all have diff areas, diff deer herds, diff this and diff that. It is good to decide what we will be happy with prior to hunting instead of saying - I wish I did this...

My season is shaping up to be interesting - scouting an extremely difficult hunt area due to thickness of cover and relatively low deer counts. 3 day archery season. I'm going to be tickled pink if I can set up on the deer - gonna give it a good go including ground time and observation sits the week before the season opens. IF I can find a buck or two, will hunt them, if not then any deer will do.

My other two FL hunts are with guests in a more heavily hunted area - my father and a guy I've known for a while. Need to see what kind of sign I can find in my scouting. Little sign means shooting the first deer. Will be very happy if I can put them in spots where they can at least see a deer or two.

There you go - deaf guy hunts FL swamps and will be happy with whatever he can get.

IF I can get 1 deer each hunt, I will consider it a major success. My FL records is 3 deer (2 spikes and a doe) for 13 seasons. If I get an 8 pt buck in FL, I'll do a dance. They have the cutest little antlers.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 am

Dewey wrote:I don't like to put pressure on myself. I am much more successful when my outlook is to just focus on having fun and don't let things that are out of my control affect my decision making. In the end I enjoy every single part of the season and don't get caught up in the pressure of tagging a buck. It becomes a miserable season and sucks the fun right out of it if you don't know how to manage this.

I truly love the grind of the season and look forward to improving every year. Some of my most memorable seasons didn't end with me tagging a buck. I realize that is the ultimate goal but to me it's all about the journey to reach that goal.

Well said Dewey...I totally agree!

I will say for me personally...I have prepared more than ever before. I'm hoping to maximize my tree-time and for at least one encounter with a mature buck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:56 am

stash59 wrote:Compared to how last season went. I was expecting my health to be better. During this spring and summer. Though certain things are better. Different things are worse. Gotta love chronic Lyme!

As the season fast approaches. I was becoming more frustrated. With the fact that I don't have alot of my planned kill spots ready yet. My situation is a little unique. Because I'm forced to hunt at ground or even what is more like water level. I didn't set up spots when scouting. I needed to wait until plants were near full summer growth in most spots. To clear lanes.

Well last night I was thinking. When suddenly it hit me. Despite not being at where I hoped to be. I'm still more prepared than last year. I have a handful of quality spots. That if I hunt smart. Should give me a crack at at least a 2.5YO. With a crack at a doe or 2 mixed in.

So a little more to my point mentioned in the title. Sure all of us Beasts really want to kill a mature slob. But it's not realistic for alot of us. Location, time, family, job, health, even lack of preparedness because you didn't find the Beast until a month or so ago. Means we must either lower our standards on buck age class/antler size. Or just assume killing a target buck this year is not going to happen. Or at least the odds are low.

Getting to this point in our thinking is one thing. Being satisfied with it is another. Now I'm not talking long term here. We all want to progress in our skills. So our desires to kill a truly mature buck. Can be reached some day. Then doing it consistently from year to year. To get there means "not" being satisfied with where we're at.

But for this season. Realizing where we're truly at. Thinking of it as a stepping stone towards our ultimate goal/s. Using it to learn. Figuring out mistakes or problem areas that come up. Then fixing them. Being happy with each and every out come.

Will keep from making the season a grind. Keep the stresses off. Just make this year way more enjoyable. Keeping it fun.

And for those of you that are more experienced. That can hit it hard. Remember to "stop and smell the roses" along the way!!!

It's the journey not the kill that's important.

Good luck everyone!!!

Thanx

Chuck

Yeah...for you its at a different spot for sure. Your limited by your health. It can be hard not to get discouraged by it.

I always kind of see killing mature bucks when all facets of life converge and meet. Health, Time, Finances, Scouting ability, Shooting ability. You cannot rush the process ...it just takes time.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 am

Love hearing from you Stash...your circumstances are certainly tough and your exhuberance is catchy...thanks for your posts. I did'nt find the beast until last Sept., I'm also 54 :lol: . I'll never be a full fledged Beast but I can use the tactics to be a better hunter. Who knows how long i will be able to pull a bow or climb a tree?? I'm gonna keep at it with a plan and goals every year and keep getting better. Who knows what this season brings... be ready at all times and have fun, thanks again :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”